thanks, I was hoping for a different answer but it is what it is Il giorno dom 3 ott 2021 alle 01:12 Bart Schaefer ha scritto: > On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM Pier Paolo Grassi > wrote: > > is it possibile in zsh to disable locking the history file during write > operations? I am the only one writing to those files so I shouldn't risk a > concurrent operation. > > The lock mechanism is not to protect against multiple users writing > those files, it's to protect against multiple zsh processes writing to > the files. E.g. if you have more than one window open on the same > "project", both zsh might attempt to write the file, even though you > are "the only one" who needs to write. > > The problem here seems to be that your host system has symbolic links, > so zsh is compiled to use that locking mechanism, but the remote > server doesn't support creating one. > > Your best bet is to store the project history in a directory where a > symbolic link can be created, instead of storing it inside the > remote-mounted directory. > > The ~/.zlogin file is sourced before, and the ~/.zlogout file after, > reading/saving history respectively, so if you need to copy the file > contents from/to the remote directory to/from the file used by the > current shell, you can do so there ... or in whatever other functions > etc. you are using to keep track of which project you're in. > -- Pier Paolo Grassi