zsh-users
* shared history file
@ 2021-10-02 17:52 Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2021-10-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

Hello, I was trying to implement a per project shell history file.
Some of these projects are on windows shared mounted via cifs. when I open
those files as history with fc -p I get:

/root/.zshrc:440: locking failed for /mnt/docs/projects/devbox/.history:
operation not supported: reading anyway
zsh: locking failed for  /mnt/docs/projects/devbox/.history: operation not
supported: reading anyway

Is it possible to work around this? is it possibile in zsh to disable
locking the history file during write operations? I am the only one writing
to those files so I shouldn't risk a concurrent operation.
I tried using setopt HIST_FCNTL_LOCK but ended up with an emptied history
file.

Pier Paolo Grassi

* Re: shared history file
@ 2021-10-02 17:54 ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2021-10-02 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

I forgot to mention that, while I was able to read the history file, the
new commands typed were not written to it, and this is the problem I would
like to solve
thanks

Pier Paolo Grassi

Il giorno sab 2 ott 2021 alle ore 19:52 Pier Paolo Grassi <
pierpaolog@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hello, I was trying to implement a per project shell history file.
> Some of these projects are on windows shared mounted via cifs. when I open
> those files as history with fc -p I get:
>
> /root/.zshrc:440: locking failed for /mnt/docs/projects/devbox/.history:
> operation not supported: reading anyway
> zsh: locking failed for  /mnt/docs/projects/devbox/.history: operation not
> supported: reading anyway
>
> Is it possible to work around this? is it possibile in zsh to disable
> locking the history file during write operations? I am the only one writing
> to those files so I shouldn't risk a concurrent operation.
> I tried using setopt HIST_FCNTL_LOCK but ended up with an emptied history
> file.
>
> Pier Paolo Grassi

* Re: shared history file
@ 2021-10-02 23:12 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2021-10-02 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@gmail.com> wrote:
> is it possibile in zsh to disable locking the history file during write operations? I am the only one writing to those files so I shouldn't risk a concurrent operation.

The lock mechanism is not to protect against multiple users writing
those files, it's to protect against multiple zsh processes writing to
the files.  E.g. if you have more than one window open on the same
"project", both zsh might attempt to write the file, even though you
are "the only one" who needs to write.

The problem here seems to be that your host system has symbolic links,
so zsh is compiled to use that locking mechanism, but the remote
server doesn't support creating one.

Your best bet is to store the project history in a directory where a
symbolic link can be created, instead of storing it inside the
remote-mounted directory.

The ~/.zlogin file is sourced before, and the ~/.zlogout file after,
reading/saving history respectively, so if you need to copy the file
contents from/to the remote directory to/from the file used by the
current shell, you can do so there ... or in whatever other functions
etc. you are using to keep track of which project you're in.

* Re: shared history file
@ 2021-10-02 23:19   ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2021-10-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh-Users List