would it be enough a widget that does always filesystem completion regardless of the command line so far, to be binded to a different-than-tab shortcut? that’s been my approach to the same problem, I also have special only-directories and only-regular-files widgets too Il giorno dom 29 set 2019 alle 17:12 Ray Andrews ha scritto: > On 2019-09-29 6:09 a.m., Mikael Magnusson wrote: > > > > Claiming that completion not completing invalid arguments for your > > command is an "issue" seems pretty far fetched to me. If you always > > want to complete files, don't run compinit in your startup files. > > > I appreciate the sophistication of that, but there are times when I > really do want to complete on a filename even if it might seem like an > invalid argument superficially. I thought that compinit was the entire > completion system! Commenting it out and restarting, just as you say, I > get 'dumb' file completions just as wanted. Can we have it both ways? > That is, tweak compinit so that perhaps on a final press of the TAB key > it will fall back to dumb file completion even if a kosher match has > not been found? Or some sort of temporary fallback to dumb completion? > Most of the time it seems that file completion is all that's happening > and anyway this sort of issue is very rare here, but short of restarting > it would be nice to have dumb completion 'override' when wanted. > Perhaps if a final press of TAB was used then instead of this: > > Completing package > > ... we'd see: > > Fallback to completing file > > ... or something like that. > > I looked at zcompdump and there's nothing in there that looks > promising. I know that completion is the most inscrutable part of zsh, > so I won't even attempt to understand it, and any tweak will be taken > without question and on authority. Or is there an approachable > document? Or some workaround? > > > > -- Pier Paolo Grassi