I use this on production servers where i don't want to alter anything that is't necessary, so of course i will not create ramdisks just for launching a find command with a pager attached ;) this leaving aside the issues with kill raised by vincent, which i didn't yet looked into Il giorno ven 1 ott 2021 alle 02:36 Dominik Vogt ha scritto: > On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 02:04:11AM +0200, Pier Paolo Grassi wrote: > > Hello, thanks for your insights, but I think you are kind of missing the > > point: I am already happy with what > > > > less -f <(find ...) > > > > gives me in terms of ux. Of course the output is generated continuously > and > > it is stored in ram by less, having gigabytes of ram it doesn't really > > matters how much output is produced. > > The only upgrade I was looking for was to be able to do ctrl-c to dispose > > of the command even when find had not yet produced enough output to make > > less satisfied, the infamous one screenfull of text. > > 1) This is not an issue at all if the input comes from a regular > file. > > 2) With "less -f <()" it can be solved by artificially > generating at least a screen of output: > > $ less -f <(repeat $LINES; echo; ) > > > I fail to understand how it would help me to create a tmpfs and make the > > long running process write there instead of to a pipe. > > There was some issue about the generating command being killed by > ctrl-c. Storing output in a tempfile solves this, and using a > ramdisk solves the disk space concerns. > > > If the process > > doesn't produce output it will still hang the shell, doesn't it? > > The "alias" or "shell function" solutions would run the generating > command in the backgroud, so the shell does not hang. Also, less > does not hang when input comes from a regular file, even if that > file is growing. This is a significant difference in behaviour > from taking input from a pipe. > > Ciao > > Dominik ^_^ ^_^ > > -- > > Dominik Vogt > > -- Pier Paolo Grassi