in this case maybe the ctrl-z kill % isn't so bad a solution for the occasions in which I want to interrupt the process before any output has been provided thanks Il giorno mar 28 set 2021 alle 01:05 Bart Schaefer < schaefer@brasslantern.com> ha scritto: > On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 3:57 PM Pier Paolo Grassi > wrote: > > > > So I'm starting to think this is something that can't be solved from the > shell because the shell is unable to do anything until less gives up the > control, am I right? > > "less" is the foreground process controlling the terminal, so if it > traps the signal, that's pretty much the end of it, yes. > -- Pier Paolo Grassi