zsh-users
* completion of path with double slashes
@ 2022-01-26  9:02 Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2022-01-26  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

Hello, I noticed that having a double slash in a path that I then try to
complete, ie:

/home/paul//ab<TAB>

requires a significant more amount of time to execute than the same path
without double slashes.
I tried this with zsh -f, and it does not reproduce.
Is there a setting that comes to mind that can be responsible for this?
thanks

Pier Paolo Grassi

* Re: completion of path with double slashes
@ 2022-01-26  9:48 ` Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
From: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri @ 2022-01-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 10:02:37AM +0100, Pier Paolo Grassi wrote:
> Hello, I noticed that having a double slash in a path that I then try to
> complete, ie:
>
> /home/paul//ab<TAB>
>
> requires a significant more amount of time to execute than the same path
> without double slashes.
> I tried this with zsh -f, and it does not reproduce.
> Is there a setting that comes to mind that can be responsible for this?
> thanks
>
> Pier Paolo Grassi

If you use compinit in your .zshrc, then // in a path will be treated as
/*/ when doing filename completion.

Look for "squeeze-slashes" in the zshcompsys(1) manual.

	squeeze-slashes
               If set to `true', sequences of slashes in filename paths
               (for example in `foo//bar') will be treated as a single
               slash.  This is the usual behaviour of UNIX paths.
               However, by default the file completion function behaves
               as if there were a `*' between the slashes.

--
Andreas (Kusalananda) Kähäri
SciLifeLab, NBIS, ICM

.

* Re: completion of path with double slashes
@ 2022-01-26 11:27   ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2022-01-26 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi, Zsh-Users List