thanks for the advices I found that setting LISTMAX=100000 doesn't get me the interactive menu completion, just the (normal?) menu completion without the "do you wish to see" question what I mean is (sorry if I am not using the correct terminology) grep - shows a list of options, but does not allow me to move through the options with the arrows if I do compdef _gnu_generic grep grep - gives me a menu like I want in my .zshrc I have zstyle ':completion:*' menu select=2 and nothing more specific to disable it just for grep if I don't redefine the completer with compdef the default completer for grep is _grep so, is it possibile that the issue is that _grep doesn't do interactive menu completion? is this something demanded to the completer to decide? Pier Paolo Grassi Il giorno dom 5 apr 2020 alle ore 21:29 Mikael Magnusson ha scritto: > On 4/5/20, Pier Paolo Grassi wrote: > > Hello, when trying to complete with interactive menu completion some > > command with many options, eg grep, I get a message like > > zsh: do you wish to see all 156 possibilities (41 lines)? > > is it possibile to disable it and just see the interactive menu? > > You can set LISTMAX=100000 or so to increase the default limit (which > is 100, I think). There is some other way to disable it too, because I > don't get the prompt and haven't set LISTMAX, but I'm not sure how I > did it :). > > -- > Mikael Magnusson >