thanks Bart for this explanation and the solution, I wasn't so sure how to explain what I was looking for because I was missing this mechanic. Pier Paolo Grassi Il giorno mar 10 gen 2023 alle ore 03:46 Bart Schaefer < schaefer@brasslantern.com> ha scritto: > On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 2:47 PM Jim wrote: > > > > I haven't seen anything that shows ttys pointing to a process. It may > exist, but I don't > > know where you would find it if it does. I just know that processes > attach tty devices > > via file descriptors on Linux and Unix systems. > > Although the foregoing is correct, once a process is attached to a tty > the corresponding descriptor can be closed or duplicated without > detaching the process from the tty again. All descendants of that > process form a "process group" (unless one of them explicitly takes > over as a new "group leader") and all processes in a group are > eligible to receive signals such as INT and QUIT and TSTP generated by > the terminal (usually by keyboard interaction). > > So Pier wants to know what tty is associated with the current > process's group, not what tty may be performing i/o with any of the > currently open descriptors. The simplest way to do that is to use the > coreutils "tty" command: tty < /dev/tty >