Hello, hope I'm doing this banching of the thread the right way I would like to understand this: % echo "${:-{{{{}" % is that output generated automatically or was it human-made? thanks Pier Paolo Grassi Il giorno mer 13 set 2023 alle ore 05:42 Bart Schaefer < schaefer@brasslantern.com> ha scritto: > On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 7:51 PM Jim wrote: > > > > Unless I misunderstood, adding 'setopt ignorebraces' to the function, > returned the > > same results as it did without it. Don't know if that helps, or confuses > things more. > > You have to setopt ignorebraces before you define the datetimetest > function. Otherwise the internals of the function have already been > parsed and the behavior doesn't change. > >