zsh-users
* Terminal theme tool – a workaround for lack of 24-bit color in Zsh?
@ 2018-10-15 15:28 Sebastian Gniazdowski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2018-10-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Hello!
There are 2 escape sequences, ESC]4;n;#rrggbb\a and ESC]Pnrrggbb, that
allow to change terminal's current palette. First works on most
OpenSource / Linux terminals and supports 256 colors, second one on OS
X iTerm, supporting first 16 colors only. (I've submitted a ticket for
1st code on iTerm GitLab project page
https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/issues/7221, you could support it
by commenting in favor of the feature or by giving thumbs up).

I'm wondering why there is no tool to manage terminal-themes? Many
things, in particular syntax highlighting of Zsh command-line, can
easily gain from this. It's essentially a workaround for the lack of
24-bit color in Zsh. As a result I've decided to extend F-Sy-H theme
support with terminal-palette altering, it should be there within a
month.

I'm curious on opinions whether this really is a workaround for no
true-color support in Zsh and maybe on ideas of what such
terminal-theme manager should do.

You can play with this feature – xterm, urxvt, gnome-terminal:

echo -e '\e[32m'Test Color Text ▓▓▓▓'\e[0m'
sleep 2
echo -ne '\e]4;2;#aaaa00\a'

OS X / iTerm:

echo -e '\e[32m'Test Color Text ▓▓▓▓'\e[0m'
sleep 2
echo -en '\e]P2aaaa00'

--
Sebastian Gniazdowski