Small type in the last. That first line should read PATH=./dir I also put a foo.zsh in the current directory and it is never called regardless of whether pathscript is on or off. The foo.zsh script in ./dir is called every time. Thanks, Steve Dondley Owner, Prometheus Labor Communications Westfield, MA 413-537-4451 > On Jan 25, 2024, at 10:21 PM, Steve Dondley wrote: > > Sorry, I’ve got a bad misconcepiton somewhere. I stil don’t get it. > > I do: PATH=.dir > > When I do: setopt pathscript > And then do: foo.zsh > > It finds foo in the ./dir directory and executes it. > > > Then when i do: unsetopt pathscript > And then I do: foo.zsh > > It stil finds foo.zsh in the ./dir directory. > > So I’m not seeing how it behaves any differently. > > > > > >> On Jan 25, 2024, at 10:05 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote: >> >> On Thu, Jan 25, 2024, at 9:00 PM, Steve Dondley wrote: >>> I’ve been looking over the documentation and I really can’t make sense >>> out of what the PATH_SCRIPT option is supposed to do. >>> >>> If it’s set, which it is by default, I think it’s supposed to look >>> through directories PATH and try to find the command. But if it’s not >>> set, it doesn’t look through directories in PATH. >>> >>> At least that’s my understanding. But as a far as I can tell, I can run >>> a command in /bin with or without PATH_SCRIPT option set. >>> >>> I’m obviously confused about what the docs are saying. Can someone shed >>> light on this for me? >> >> The option affects how zsh behaves when invoked without -c or -s >> and with a first non-option argument that doesn't contain any >> slashes. In this situation, shells generally try to find and run >> a script with that name in the current directory; if there is no >> such script, they try to find one in PATH. PATH_SCRIPT lets you >> control whether zsh performs that fallback PATH search. (It does >> not affect other PATH searches.) >> >> % cat foo.zsh >> cat: foo.zsh: No such file or directory >> % cat dir/foo.zsh >> print foo >> % PATH=./dir >> % /bin/zsh -o PATH_SCRIPT foo.zsh >> foo >> % /bin/zsh +o PATH_SCRIPT foo.zsh >> /bin/zsh: can't open input file: foo.zsh >> >> -- >> vq >