zsh-users
* How to disable Windows style completion cycling?
@ 2016-12-02 11:18 Ed Singleton
From: Ed Singleton @ 2016-12-02 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I’ve recently switched from bash to zsh, and generally it’s been a positive experience, except for the fact that I can’t work out how to switch off the Windows style cycling of completions when you press <tab>.  I much prefer bash’s refusal to guess, where it only completes any unambiguous part of the match and does nothing else except show options.

I’m currently trying with a fresh install of zsh on OSX using homebrew, with an empty .zshrc.

I’ve tried setting (and unsetting) MENU_COMPLETE, and other options from the completion section of setopt.

I’ve tried using zstyle and setting `zstyle ':completion:*' menu no-select`

I’ve tried running through zsh-newuser-install and exploring the options in there to see if there was anything that would switch it off.

If anyone has got any tips on how to turn it off, or good terms that I should be googling, I’d be very grateful.  (I’m slightly hampered in that I don’t know the correct term for it, so it’s hard to google).

Thanks

Ed

* Re: How to disable Windows style completion cycling?
@ 2016-12-02 12:04 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2016-12-02 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Singleton; +Cc: zsh-users

Ed Singleton wrote:
> I’ve recently switched from bash to zsh, and generally it’s been
> a positive experience, except for the fact that I can’t work out how
> to switch off the Windows style cycling of completions when you press
> <tab>. I much prefer bash’s refusal to guess, where it only completes
> any unambiguous part of the match and does nothing else except show
> options.

> I’ve tried setting (and unsetting) MENU_COMPLETE, and other options from the completion section of setopt.

Have you tried unsetopt auto_menu?

> I’ve tried using zstyle and setting `zstyle ':completion:*' menu no-select`

That ought to work too if you have compinit enabled which I would
recommend (autoload -U compinit; compinit).
Perhaps try including the default tag in the style:

  zstyle ':completion:*:default' menu no-select

> If anyone has got any tips on how to turn it off, or good terms that I
> should be googling, I’d be very grateful. (I’m slightly hampered in
> that I don’t know the correct term for it, so it’s hard to google).

If I've understood you correctly, it is termed menu completion, at least
in a zsh context.

By default, you should only get it after pressing tab twice in
succession. There's a BASH_AUTO_LIST option if you like the bash
behaviour of having to use an extra tab press to get a listing.

Oliver

* Re: How to disable Windows style completion cycling?
@ 2016-12-02 12:13   ` Ed Singleton
From: Ed Singleton @ 2016-12-02 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-users

> On 2 Dec 2016, at 12:04, Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Ed Singleton wrote:
>> I’ve recently switched from bash to zsh, and generally it’s been
>> a positive experience, except for the fact that I can’t work out how
>> to switch off the Windows style cycling of completions when you press
>> <tab>. I much prefer bash’s refusal to guess, where it only completes
>> any unambiguous part of the match and does nothing else except show
>> options.
>
>> I’ve tried setting (and unsetting) MENU_COMPLETE, and other options from the completion section of setopt.
>
> Have you tried unsetopt auto_menu?

THANK YOU!

I was sure I had tried that one, but I’ve just retried it, and it worked.

>> I’ve tried using zstyle and setting `zstyle ':completion:*' menu no-select`
>
> That ought to work too if you have compinit enabled which I would
> recommend (autoload -U compinit; compinit).
> Perhaps try including the default tag in the style:
>
>  zstyle ':completion:*:default' menu no-select

This didn’t work, but then I’m not explicitly using compinit.  I’ll have a look into what it is though, if you recommend it.

Thanks again.

Ed