zsh-users
* Avoid LDAP hit during completion
@ 2005-06-06 17:25 Chris Wong
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Wong @ 2005-06-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

For some reason, whenever I start a zsh shell, the first completion
will trigger many many LDAP lookup.

% cd foo<TAB>

As soon as I hit TAB, the shell appears as frozen, but at the
background, it's hitting the LDAP server of my company network.  This
will go one for a couple minutes, at least.  tcpdump and top revealed
that mystery to me.

Is there any workaround for this?  I'd hate to use bash after years
of using zsh.

Thanks for any help!
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Avoid LDAP hit during completion
@ 2005-06-06 18:16 ` lists
From: lists @ 2005-06-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wong; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi,
     Is there anything in your $fpath that might cause this?  Is your
'cd' a function or alias of your own design?  First try cd-ing after
issuing 'zsh -f'.  That should work.  I don't know offhand why cd
would make a call to LDAP as 'chown<TAB>' or 'ls -l' would.

Regards,
Ryan

@ 2005-06-06 18:38   ` Chris wong
From: Chris wong @ 2005-06-06 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thanks for the quick reply, Ryan.

My $fpath has the standard value pointing to
/usr/share/zsh/site-functions /usr/share/zsh/4.1.1/functions

cd is not aliased or redefined in any way.

I should have been more clear about it.  It doesn't just happen to cd,
it happened to ls and any other commands that trigger file/dir
completion.  Just a few minutes ago, I noticed that it doesn't
necessarily happen at the first time of completion.

My zsh is running on Mac OS X 10.3 and the LDAP directory service it's
hitting is Active Directory.

Chris

--
Chris

@ 2005-06-07  9:26 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-06-07  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Chris Wong wrote:
> For some reason, whenever I start a zsh shell, the first completion
> will trigger many many LDAP lookup.
>
> % cd foo<TAB>
>
> As soon as I hit TAB, the shell appears as frozen, but at the
> background, it's hitting the LDAP server of my company network.  This
> will go one for a couple minutes, at least.  tcpdump and top revealed
> that mystery to me.

Are you using the new completion system (with compinit)?  The best way
of tracking this down would be to see what the completion scripts are
doing.  You can arrange this with

_comp_setup="$_comp_setup
setopt xtrace"

This produces a huge amount of output so is useless for normal
completion but you should be able to see where the shell is pausing for
a long time.

the system manager.

* Re: Avoid LDAP hit during completion
@ 2005-06-07 10:24   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-06-07 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 7, 10:26am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Avoid LDAP hit during completion
}
} Chris Wong wrote:
} > For some reason, whenever I start a zsh shell, the first completion
} > will trigger many many LDAP lookup.
}
} Are you using the new completion system (with compinit)?  The best way
} of tracking this down would be to see what the completion scripts are
} doing.

It's almost certainly the zsh/parameter module looking up all possible
user names on the system to implement the $userdirs variable, which is
used by several of the completion functions including _expand and the
more obvious _users and _tilde_files.

Unfortunately there's no simple way to disable this.

* Re: Avoid LDAP hit during completion
@ 2005-06-07 12:33     ` lists
From: lists @ 2005-06-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart, this may be true, but I've used OS X 10.3 workstations bound to
an LDAP domain containing 2000+ users and haven't seen problems like
this unless I do something like 'chown<TAB>'.  Odd that Chris would
run into it and I wouldn't if it were strictly due to user lookups.
Chris, Peter's suggestions (adding xtrace to _comp_setup) sounds like
a good thing to try.

-Ryan

@ 2005-06-07 15:41 ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-06-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wong; +Cc: zsh-users, wgscott1

One possible approach is to use a modified _users completion function.
I haven't had the problem you are reporting, but I got tired of having
all the fake users like www  added to the completion list, so I have been
using this:

http://xanana.ucsc.edu/Library/init/zsh/local-functions/darwin/_users

HTH,

Bill

@ 2005-06-07 16:27   ` Chris Wong
From: Chris Wong @ 2005-06-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'll try that today.  Unfortunately, it doesn't always freeze up at
the first completion attempt.  I though it did for the first time,
but found out otherwise.  It may have to do with the caching
happening at the DirectoryService on Mac. It seems to always happen
at the worst possible time such as doing a demo/presentation. :-)

Thanks
Chris

@ 2005-06-07 23:19     ` Chris wong
From: Chris wong @ 2005-06-07 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wong; +Cc: zsh-users

Peter, thanks for the xtrace trick.  Here is the partial output. The
completion slow down (or appeared to be frozen) at _all_labels:39,
(boxed up in asterisks below).  Any help would be much appreciated.

ignored-patterns _comp_ignore
hidden
**
* +_all_labels:39> compadd -F _comp_ignore -J -default- -qS/ -k
userdirs *
**
+_all_labels:26> comptags -A users curtag __spec
+_all_labels:43> return __ret
+_wanted:9> _tags
+_tags:3> local prev
+_tags:10> [[ '' == -- ]]
+_tags:15> ((  0  ))
+_tags:66> comptags -N
+_wanted:13> return 1
+_tilde:24> _requested named-directories expl 'named directory' compadd
-qS/ -k nameddirs
+_requested:3> local __gopt
+_requested:5> __gopt=( )
+_requested:6> zparseopts -D -a __gopt 1 2 V J x
+_requested:8> comptags -R named-directories
+_requested:9> [[ 7 -gt 3 ]]
+_requested:10> _all_labels - named-directories expl 'named directory'
compadd -qS/ -k nameddirs
+_all_labels:3> local __gopt __len __tmp __pre __suf '__ret=1' __descr
__spec __prev
+_all_labels:5> [[ - == - ]]
+_all_labels:6> __prev=-
+_all_labels:7> shift
+_all_labels:10> __gopt=( )
+_all_labels:11> zparseopts -D -a __gopt 1 2 V J x
+_all_labels:13> __tmp=8
+_all_labels:14> __len=7
+_all_labels:15> [[ __tmp -lt __len ]]
+_all_labels:18> [[ __tmp -eq 7 ]]
+_all_labels:22> __pre=4
+_all_labels:23> __suf=5
+_all_labels:26> comptags -A- named-directories curtag __spec
+_all_labels:27> ((  9 > _tags_level  ))
+_all_labels:28> _tags_level=9
+_all_labels:29> _comp_tags=' local-directories  users  users
named-directories '
+_all_labels:30> [[ named-directories == '*[^\]:*' ]]
+_all_labels:37> _description named-directories expl 'named directory'

--
Chris

@ 2005-06-08  0:52       ` lists
From: lists @ 2005-06-08  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

There's userdirs as per Bart's prediction (although I'm not sure what
part it plays here).  Weird that this hasn't bitten me before.
However, given the fact that your problem doesn't always happen upon
the first completion, I too wonder if DirectorySerivce, the network,
or solar flares are also contributing.

-Ryan

@ 2005-06-08  1:32         ` William Scott
From: William Scott @ 2005-06-08  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I think this might be happening if you have configured OSX to consult
/etc/passwd by default and have those remote directories listed in there.
If they were in NetInfo or somewhere else non-canonical that zsh would not
see, then the problem would not arise on a network.

Maybe it would be easiest to reset the $userdirs array to something
tractable.

@ 2005-06-08  2:49           ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-06-08  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jun 7,  6:32pm, William Scott wrote:
}
} Maybe it would be easiest to reset the $userdirs array to something
} tractable.

userdirs is read-only, and automatically populated by the zsh/parameter
module.  As I said, there's no easy workaround, particularly if zsh has
been compiled to use NIS; it's worse if the default system getpwent()
is implemented to do more than just read /etc/passwd, though I don't
know for of any specific case where this occurs.

* Re: Avoid LDAP hit during completion
@ 2005-06-08  9:35       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-06-08  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Chris wong wrote:
> Peter, thanks for the xtrace trick.  Here is the partial output. The
> completion slow down (or appeared to be frozen) at _all_labels:39,
> (boxed up in asterisks below).  Any help would be much appreciated.

OK, so it was userdirs... You can relatively easily stop this happening
for most contexts by copying the _users function to somewhere earlier in
your $fpath and commenting out the last line.  You can still have
a list of specific users you want to complete, but it won't query the
system.  (If you have permission you can doctor _users in place, of course.)

There are still other places that use userdirs.  One is the _expand
completer.  If you use that you can do a similar trick by commenting
out the complete expression in braces:

  { [[ ( "$word" = \~* && ${#userdirs[(I)${word[2,-1]}*]}+${#nameddirs[(I)${word
[2,-1]}*]} -gt 1 ) ||
       ( "$word" = *\$[a-zA-Z0-9_]## &&
         ${#parameters[(I)${word##*\$}*]} -ne 1 ) ]] && continue=1 }

You can decide if you need to worry about _tilde_files.

I can see uses for a feature to override special parameters like
userdirs selectively.  Unfortunately the current state of the parameter
code makes implementing this very hairy.

the system manager.

* Re: Avoid LDAP hit during completion
@ 2005-06-16  6:33         ` Chris Wong
From: Chris Wong @ 2005-06-16  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Peter,

My apology for the late reply.  I was out of town for a few days.

I tried your suggested solution and now it doesn't seem to hit LDAP
any more.

Thank you so much.

Chris