zsh-users
* adding completion file for zsh
@ 2005-10-28  8:01 Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-10-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi!

Please direct me to some document that describes in plain words how to
add new completion file for use by zsh.

I have obtained _darcs from darcs website (yes I know newer version of
zsh has it bundled) and wanted to add it to the zsh 4.2.1 that I use. So
I've copied it to /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/

I know that zsh has found the file. First time I've messed up the
permissions so zsh complained that it can't open it :) But I still don't
have the completion. Yes, I have completion for all kinds of stuff and
where I use new zsh I also have it working for darcs.

Do I need something else to do? Or the file I got is simply incompatible
with 4.2.1 completion system?

Sorry, probably I could have figured out myself by digging in
documentation, but I really hope for quick answer here :)

Thank you

* Re: adding completion file for zsh
@ 2005-10-28  8:09 ` Artur Penttinen
From: Artur Penttinen @ 2005-10-28  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: av; +Cc: zsh-users

  http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-07/power_01.html

--
wbw, artur

* Re: adding completion file for zsh
@ 2005-10-28 10:23   ` Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-10-28 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 12:09:07PM +0400, Artur Penttinen wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >Please direct me to some document that describes in plain words how to
> >add new completion file for use by zsh.
> >
> >I have obtained _darcs from darcs website (yes I know newer version of
> >zsh has it bundled) and wanted to add it to the zsh 4.2.1 that I use. So
> >I've copied it to /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/
[...]
>   http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-07/power_01.html

Hm. Interestingly enough, when I put the function into
/usr/share/zsh/site-functions/ then it does not get used. When I put it
into /usr/share/zsh/4.2.1/functions, then it becomes available.

When I do echo $FPATH both of the directories are present there. Why
completion system doesn't see the file in site-functions?

* Re: adding completion file for zsh
@ 2005-10-28 10:38     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-10-28 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"Andrei A. Voropaev" wrote:
> Hm. Interestingly enough, when I put the function into
> /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/ then it does not get used. When I put it
> into /usr/share/zsh/4.2.1/functions, then it becomes available.
>
> When I do echo $FPATH both of the directories are present there. Why
> completion system doesn't see the file in site-functions?

Is the owner of site-functions different, or does it have general
write permissions?  I haven't checked the details, but compinit does
some basic checking of this.

pws

* Re: adding completion file for zsh
@ 2005-10-28 12:04       ` Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-10-28 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 11:38:15AM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> "Andrei A. Voropaev" wrote:
> > Hm. Interestingly enough, when I put the function into
> > /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/ then it does not get used. When I put it
> > into /usr/share/zsh/4.2.1/functions, then it becomes available.
> >
> > When I do echo $FPATH both of the directories are present there. Why
> > completion system doesn't see the file in site-functions?
>
> Is the owner of site-functions different, or does it have general
> write permissions?  I haven't checked the details, but compinit does
> some basic checking of this.

In my case site-functions is owned by root:root and permissions are 0755
exactly the same as permissions for 4.2.1/functions. Maybe the file in
site-functions has to have executable permission?