zsh-users
* weird terminal behavior
@ 1996-12-09 12:04 Dr. G. Buerger
From: Dr. G. Buerger @ 1996-12-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I just compiled zsh-3.0.1 on an aix4.1.4-workstation. i have an old version
(2.5.03) running and it works perfectly fine.

In the new version, cursor keys, e.g., also work but I don't SEE their
result. The backspace key removes characters for the shell, but not visibly for
me. etc.

Any help?

	Gerd

* Re: weird terminal behavior
@ 1996-12-09 13:01 ` Louis-David Mitterrand
From: Louis-David Mitterrand @ 1996-12-09 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Dec 9 96, Dr. G. Buerger <buerger@pik-potsdam.de> wrote:

> In the new version, cursor keys, e.g., also work but I don't SEE their
> result. The backspace key removes characters for the shell, but not visibly for

I just discovered zsh and recently switched from bash: wow! Talk about a
clever shell. I'm addicted.

A funny behaviour occurs sometime that I never saw on bash: whe editing
the command line or going through history with the arrow keys, the
cursor's moves become jerky. When you keep pressing the key the cursor
seems to move four spaces at a time. Yet the strangest thing is that it
occurs sometimes and then goes away...

Using Linux 2.0.x, rxvt terminal, Xfree 3.2.

Keep up the great shell...

--

     Louis-David Mitterrand
     (Formula 1): http://www.zoom.com/mito/

* Re: weird terminal behavior (moving 4-places at a time)
@ 1996-12-10 12:48   ` C. v. Stuckrad
From: C. v. Stuckrad @ 1996-12-10 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis-David Mitterrand; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> A funny behaviour occurs sometime that I never saw on bash: when editing
> the command line or going through history with the arrow keys, the
> cursor's moves become jerky. When you keep pressing the key the cursor
> seems to move four spaces at a time. Yet the strangest thing is that it
> occurs sometimes and then goes away...

I always assumed this to be X11-Protocol, or some terminal-driver or
daemon interaction, as it is the more prominent the longer/slower the line
is on which you are connected. I see the same behavior for many tools as
telnet, rlogin, ssh. (It might be connected to the curses library ?)

> Keep up the great shell...
Well, I definitely agree on that !

Your's  Stucki

Christoph von Stuckrad       * *  | talk to  | <stucki@math.fu-berlin.de> \
Freie Universitaet Berlin    |/_* | nickname | ...!unido!fub!leibniz!stucki|
Fachbereich Mathematik, EDV  |\ * | 'stucki' | Tel:+49 30 838-7545{9|8}    |
Arnimallee 2-6/14195 Berlin  * *  |  on IRC  | Fax:+49 30 838-5913        /

* Re: weird terminal behavior (moving 4-places at a time)
@ 1996-12-10 13:14     ` Louis-David Mitterrand
From: Louis-David Mitterrand @ 1996-12-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Dec 10 96, C. v. Stuckrad <stucki@math.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>
> > A funny behaviour occurs sometime that I never saw on bash: when editing
> > the command line or going through history with the arrow keys, the
> > cursor's moves become jerky. When you keep pressing the key the cursor
> > seems to move four spaces at a time. Yet the strangest thing is that it
> > occurs sometimes and then goes away...
>
> I always assumed this to be X11-Protocol, or some terminal-driver or
> daemon interaction, as it is the more prominent the longer/slower the line
> is on which you are connected. I see the same behavior for many tools as
> telnet, rlogin, ssh. (It might be connected to the curses library ?)

No, it's much simpler than that, as Zoltan pointed out to me by private
e-mail. It has to do with with the BAUD setting of the terminal which is
automatically set when the shell starts up. This setting should be set
to 0 when using and xterm or console on the local machine.

export BAUD=0 # that's what I did and everything works like a charm

Cheers.