zsh-users
* Stupid question: how to get accents in zsh?
@ 1997-02-15 19:19 Louis-David Mitterrand
From: Louis-David Mitterrand @ 1997-02-15 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I can't seem to get accented characters in zsh, I tried:

export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
export LANG=iso_8859_1
stty cs8 -istrip
etc...

I looked everywhere in zsh-doc, but I can't find any builtin.

Thanks for any help.

--

     Louis-David Mitterrand
     (Formula 1): http://www.zoom.com/mito/

* Re: Stupid question: how to get accents in zsh?
@ 1997-02-16 12:43 ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 1997-02-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Feb 15, 1997 at 02:19:29PM -0500, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> I can't seem to get accented characters in zsh, I tried:
>
> export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
> export LANG=iso_8859_1

Here, LANG mustn't be defined.

> stty cs8 -istrip

Try:
stty -parenb -istrip cs8

Look also at your terminal settings. For instance, if you use xterm,
eightBitOutput must be true.

> I looked everywhere in zsh-doc, but I can't find any builtin.

I don't think it comes from zsh. Try another shell (e.g. sh), and
try "cat". Do you get 8-bit chars in those cases?

--
Vincent Lefevre, vlefevre@ens-lyon.fr | Acorn Risc PC, StrongARM @ 202MHz
http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~vlefevre      | 20+1MB RAM, Eagle M2, TV + Teletext

* Re: Stupid question: how to get accents in zsh?
@ 1997-02-16 16:52   ` Louis-David Mitterrand
From: Louis-David Mitterrand @ 1997-02-16 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Feb 16 97, Vincent Lefevre <Vincent.Lefevre@ens-lyon.fr> wrote:
> > I can't seem to get accented characters in zsh, I tried:
> >
> > export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
> > export LANG=iso_8859_1
>
> Here, LANG mustn't be defined.

OK, I did that.

> > stty cs8 -istrip
>
> Try:
> stty -parenb -istrip cs8

Did that too..

> Look also at your terminal settings. For instance, if you use xterm,
> eightBitOutput must be true.

That's defined in my .Xresources

> > I looked everywhere in zsh-doc, but I can't find any builtin.
>
> I don't think it comes from zsh. Try another shell (e.g. sh), and
> try "cat". Do you get 8-bit chars in those cases?

If I 'chsh' to bash, 8 bit characters work fine even without doing any
of the above... I'm a bit lost on that one. Now I remember that at some
point they worked when I had compiled and installed zsh myself, and they
stoped working since I switched to the Debian zsh package.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help, I'll keep trying but really don't
understand what's going on, especially with bash working and zsh not.

Merci.

--

@ 1997-02-17 21:04 ` Louis-David Mitterrand
From: Louis-David Mitterrand @ 1997-02-17 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Feb 15 97, Louis-David Mitterrand <mito> wrote:
> I can't seem to get accented characters in zsh, I tried:
>
> export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
> export LANG=iso_8859_1
> stty cs8 -istrip
> etc...
>
> I looked everywhere in zsh-doc, but I can't find any builtin.

Following up to myself: my problem was I had defined 'bindkey -me' in my
.zshrc. With 'bindkey -e' everything is fine.