zsh-users
* ftp blocked
@ 1996-07-18 14:26 Richard A. Guay
From: Richard A. Guay @ 1996-07-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZShell List

Hi,

I just joined this list and would like to know the answer to a perplexing
problem.  Anytime I set a user to using zsh as their default shell, they
can not ftp into that account.  I could not find a reference to this in any
of the manuals or info texts (but I might have missed it).  Could anyone
please shed some light on this subject?

Also, is there a dotfile generator (a tcl/tk program) module for zshell?

Richard A. Guay
rag@asicint.com
http://www.asicint.com

* Re: ftp blocked
@ 1996-07-18 14:36 ` Swen Thuemmler
From: Swen Thuemmler @ 1996-07-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard A. Guay; +Cc: ZShell List

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Richard A. Guay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just joined this list and would like to know the answer to a perplexing
> problem.  Anytime I set a user to using zsh as their default shell, they
> can not ftp into that account.  I could not find a reference to this in any
> of the manuals or info texts (but I might have missed it).  Could anyone
> please shed some light on this subject?

This problem arises typically, when zsh is not listed in /etc/shells on
the machine. Put /usr/local/bin/zsh (or wherever zsh resides on your
system) into /etc/shells, and ftp should work.

Hope this helps.

--Swen

* Re: ftp blocked
@ 1996-07-19  8:38 ` Arun Moorthy
From: Arun Moorthy @ 1996-07-19  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard A. Guay; +Cc: ZShell List

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Richard A. Guay wrote:

rag :Hi,
rag :
rag :I just joined this list and would like to know the answer to a perplexing
rag :problem.  Anytime I set a user to using zsh as their default shell, they
rag :can not ftp into that account.  I could not find a reference to this in any
rag :of the manuals or info texts (but I might have missed it).  Could anyone
rag :please shed some light on this subject?
rag :

Hi Richard.
Have you included /bin/zsh (or whatever the path is on your system) in
/etc/shells ? This file contains the list of `approved' shells.
This is most probably your problem.
-arun

	ARUN MOORTHY			    Phone :91-44-499-7060 (RES)
	B.Tech(Computer Science)                   91-44-235-1356(HOSTEL)
	E-Mail   		mailto:moorthy@brahma.iitm.ernet.in
        Web Page 		http://www.iitm.ernet.in/~moorthy

* Re: ftp blocked
@ 1996-07-18 15:37   ` Vinnie Shelton
From: Vinnie Shelton @ 1996-07-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Welland; +Cc: Users Zsh

mwelland@ichips.intel.com said:
> As for dotfile, I haven't seen one but there is a push to develop
> more. It sure would be nice.

I got started on this a long time ago.  Perhaps I can excavate the stuff
I started and resume the effort.

Has anything happened since version 1.1 of the dotfile generator?

--vin

* Re: ftp blocked
@ 1996-07-18 15:05 ` Matt Welland
From: Matt Welland @ 1996-07-18 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Users Zsh

A work-around if you can't get the sysadmin to add zsh to /etc/shells is
to have, as the last statement executed in the users .cshrc, (.kshrc ...)
something like "setenv SHELL /usr/bin/zsh".

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Andy `Flognat' Eskilsson wrote:

> The problem probably lies in your OS, ftp only accepts logins
> with shells in /etc/shells, solaris 2.x is one of these.
>
> What you have to do is easy (if you are root of course ;-) is
> to add /usr/local/bin/zsh (or wherever it is) to the /etc/shells
> file.
>
> 	/Andy

* Re: ftp blocked
@ 1996-07-18 14:33 Andy `Flognat' Eskilsson