zsh-users
* recursive globbing, filename spaces and xargs
@ 2005-01-17 15:14 William Scott
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: William Scott @ 2005-01-17 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi:

One of the things that I haven't been able to figure
out is how to deal with the error one gets when using

ls **/*

on a well-populated directory with lots of subdirectories.

zsh: argument list too long

If I do this when there are no filename spaces, it works:

echo **/*  | xargs ls

but if there are spaces, it fails, and I can't seem to figure
out how to quote or escape the spaces.

Any suggestions, or should I stick to find?

Thanks.

Bill Scott