zsh-users
* Re: ISO Latin [12] characters and zsh
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.3.91.950518094317.910A-100000@blackhole.kfki.hu>
@ 1995-05-18  9:48 ` P.Stephenson
From: P.Stephenson @ 1995-05-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: Zsh users list

kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I cannot type ISO Latin-[1|2] characters at the prompt of zsh. I was
> told that it's impossible to type in these extra characters - is it true?

Not completely, at least if you have an xterm, but it's a bit hit and
miss even there.  You can enable 8 bit mode (which you need for the -m
flag of bindkey), then type ^V, then some key with the meta key
pressed down.  For example, small e with an acute accent is \C-v\M-i
(in Emacs language), and holding down shift at the same time has the
obvious effect.

--
Peter Stephenson <P.Stephenson@swan.ac.uk>    Tel: +44 792 205678 extn. 4461
WWW:  http://python.swan.ac.uk/~pypeters/     Fax: +44 792 295324

* Re: ISO Latin [12] characters and zsh
@ 1995-05-18 10:18   ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 1995-05-18 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, 18 May 1995 P.Stephenson@swansea.ac.uk wrote:

> kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I cannot type ISO Latin-[1|2] characters at the prompt of zsh. I was
> > told that it's impossible to type in these extra characters - is it true?
>
> Not completely, at least if you have an xterm, but it's a bit hit and
> miss even there.  You can enable 8 bit mode (which you need for the -m
> flag of bindkey), then type ^V, then some key with the meta key
> pressed down.  For example, small e with an acute accent is \C-v\M-i
> (in Emacs language), and holding down shift at the same time has the
> obvious effect.

And what is the solution if the keys are remapped by xmodmap?
Zsh beeps if I press the key of aacute, for example.

On Linux I remapped the keys of the console also, so in an editor I can
type in everything in character mode. But typeing at the prompt zsh beeps
as in xterm...

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
                                           Address: P.O.B 49 Budapest
                                                    1525 Hungary
Hungarian Academy of Sciences              Phone  : +36 (1) 169 9499
Central Research Institute for Physics     Fax    : +36 (1) 169 6567
                                           E-mail : kadlec@sunserv.kfki.hu
                                                    kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu

* Re: ISO Latin [12] characters and zsh
@ 1995-05-18 20:37     ` Carlos Carvalho
From: Carlos Carvalho @ 1995-05-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Jozsef Kadlecsik (kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu) wrote on 18 May 1995 12:18:
 >On Thu, 18 May 1995 P.Stephenson@swansea.ac.uk wrote:
 >
 >> kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu wrote:
 >> > Hello,
 >> >
 >> > I cannot type ISO Latin-[1|2] characters at the prompt of zsh. I was
 >> > told that it's impossible to type in these extra characters - is it true?
 >>
 >> Not completely, at least if you have an xterm, but it's a bit hit and
 >> miss even there.  You can enable 8 bit mode (which you need for the -m
 >> flag of bindkey), then type ^V, then some key with the meta key
 >> pressed down.  For example, small e with an acute accent is \C-v\M-i
 >> (in Emacs language), and holding down shift at the same time has the
 >> obvious effect.
 >
 >And what is the solution if the keys are remapped by xmodmap?
 >Zsh beeps if I press the key of aacute, for example.
 >
 >On Linux I remapped the keys of the console also, so in an editor I can
 >type in everything in character mode. But typeing at the prompt zsh beeps
 >as in xterm...

I don't understand what the problem is. Just use the compose key...

Carlos

* Solved: ISO Latin [12] characters and zsh
@ 1995-05-19 14:14     ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 1995-05-19 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Jozsef Kadlecsik