zsh-users
* RE: checking jobs when zsh exits
@ 1999-12-24 15:32 Alan Iwi
From: Alan Iwi @ 1999-12-24 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

tjlists@bigfoot.com wrote:

> Also, fyi, the zsh-user@math.gatech.edu address is obsolete...

Okay, thanks.  I've got myself onto the list now, so I'll stay subscribed
for at least long enough to catch any replies (longer if I get keen :-)).

> Here's my hack-script, which I call "jobout" and then have:
> alias x='source jobout'

Thanks very much.

Sorry, I'd failed to mention I've already got a hack (some lines in .zshrc)
so that just typing "exit" does approximately the desired thing.  I was
just a bit unsure about posting code to the list, but in case it's useful
here it is (see below).  It works, but it would be nice to avoid hackiness.

Happy Christmas.

Alan

disown_running()
{
    # disown running jobs
    tmpfile==(:)
    jobs -r > $tmpfile
    running=`awk '{gsub("[][]","",$1);print "%"$1}' < $tmpfile`
    if [ -n "$running" ] ; then disown $running; fi

    # check for remaining jobs
    jobs >! $tmpfile
    [ -z "`<$tmpfile`" ] ; retval=$?

    /bin/rm $tmpfile

    # returns 1 if jobs still remaining, else 0
    return $retval
}

if [ "$PS1" != "" ]
then
   exit()
   {
       disown_running && builtin exit "$@"

       echo "You have stopped jobs:"
       jobs

       select name in 'exit anyway' 'return to prompt'
       do
           case $name in
               'exit anyway')
                   builtin exit "$@"
               ;;
               'return to prompt')
                   return
               ;;
           esac
       done
   }
fi

alias logout='exit'

* RE: checking jobs when zsh exits
@ 1999-12-24 16:48 ` Alan Iwi
From: Alan Iwi @ 1999-12-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I am sorry to waste your time by posting wrong code to the list; there is
an error in the .zshrc lines which I just posted.  If you intended to use
them, email me and I send you a correct version.

(I was wrongly expecting that doing:  variable=`command`
would split the command output according to $IFS and join it up with spaces,
like sh seems to, so that you don't get newlines stored in the variable.)

Alan

* Re: checking jobs when zsh exits
@ 1999-12-24 22:09 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-12-24 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Alan Iwi wrote:
> Rather than having to remember to type stuff like "emacs &!" instead of
> "emacs &" every time, would it be possible to add a new option which makes
> zsh warn about stopped jobs but not running jobs on exit, like other shells?

There was a sort of move to combine this with nohup, which got junked.
However, I don't see why there shouldn't be a check_running_jobs option in
addition to check_jobs.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>

* RE: checking jobs when zsh exits
@ 1999-12-24 14:37 ` TjL
From: TjL @ 1999-12-24 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Iwi, zsh-users

Alan
	Good suggestion.... I have a hackish way of doing this (below) but it would
be nice if there was a better way.

	Also, fyi, the zsh-user@math.gatech.edu address is obsolete...
unfortunately I don't have the new one, but I think you can find it at
www.zsh.org

	Here's my hack-script, which I call "jobout" and then have:

alias x='source jobout'

	and so when I want to logout I just type 'x' and it tells me if I have any
jobs or not.

		TjL

# RHOST is a variable I have setup based on
#  	who am i |awk '{print $NF}'|tr -d '(|)'

jobsfile=/tmp/jobs.$tty.$USER

/bin/rm -f $jobsfile

jobs -l 1>& $jobsfile

COUNT=`wc -l $jobsfile | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ "$COUNT" != "0" ]
then
        echo "This tty has stopped jobs:"
        cat $jobsfile
        /bin/rm -f $jobsfile
else
        KEEPALIVEPID=`awk '{print $3}' $jobsfile`

        echo "killing $KEEPALIVEPID"

        kill -9 $KEEPALIVEPID

        echo "No jobs running"

        /bin/rm -f $jobsfile
        echo "Logout complete from $HOST, returning to $RHOST"
        exit 0
fi

* checking jobs when zsh exits
@ 1999-12-24 12:48 Alan Iwi
From: Alan Iwi @ 1999-12-24 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

During a discussion about zsh on a local newsgroup, someone suggested I
should post this here as a feature request.

When trying to exit from zsh you are warned about running or stopped jobs,
whereas tcsh and bash behaviour is to only warn you about _stopped_ jobs,
not _running_ jobs.  I think this distinction is valid, as stopped jobs are
typically likely to be stuff which writes to the terminal (e.g. a gdb
session which you've suspended) whereas running jobs are often X programs
which can carry on fine without the invoking shell (e.g. emacs window).

Rather than having to remember to type stuff like "emacs &!" instead of
"emacs &" every time, would it be possible to add a new option which makes
zsh warn about stopped jobs but not running jobs on exit, like other shells?

Many thanks.

Alan

P.S. I am not on the mailing list myself - I know it's polite to subscribe
to a list before posting to it, but here's what happened when I tried, so
please CC: me any replies - thanks!

    ... while talking to math.gatech.edu.:
    <<< 550 <zsh-users-request@math.gatech.edu>... User unknown