zsh-users
* How people use dtksh and tksh
@ 2000-08-01 19:50 Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2000-08-01 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Clip here ---

 From: damercer@mmm.com (Dan Mercer)
 Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
 Subject: Re: How you use Dtksh and Tksh?
 Date: 26 Jul 2000 13:30:57 GMT

In article <rkahf9d1kgz.fsf@verso.st.jyu.fi>,
Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@verso.st.jyu.fi> writes:

> I just started some discussion in mailing-list called zsh-users: I
> asked about possibility to create Dtksh and Tksh replacements for
> Zsh-users. I proposed creating possibility write to Tk, Gtk and maybe
> even Gnome-applications with Zsh.
>
> One raised issue was usefullness of such things.
>
> So, would you ksh-users please tell me: For what purposes you use
> Dtksh and/or Tksh? How useful it is? Does it work well?
>
> Currently, it is possible to write Tk-, Gtk- and even Gnome-apps with
> Perl and Python. Is it better idea to just stick with those two
> scripting languages?
>
> http://www.kornshell.com/
>
> http://www.kornshell.com/software/
>
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jlk/tksh/

I use dtksh for building useful little utilities like program
launchers.  It's much easier to write in dtksh than in tcl, python or perl.
If I was going to write in any of those three,  I would write in
C instead - no more difficult,  easier to read and no learning
curve.

Dtksh scripts are very efficient - remember, most of the work is
being done in the shared library routines.  You can also
add your own builtins easily,  which I have done for some X
calls that were inexplicably left out.

--
Dan Mercer
damercer@uswest.net

--- Clip here ---

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * * U of Jyväskylä * * juhtolv@st.jyu.fi
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/index.html * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW!"

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-08-01 19:51 UTC | newest]