zsh-users
* PS1 corrupted through "su"
@ 2000-01-03 17:25 John Galbraith
From: John Galbraith @ 2000-01-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I have been dabbling with zsh, and I put some color in my prompt.  This is
the relevant init stuff:

red="$(echo -n '%{^[[31m%}')"
cyan="$(echo -n '%{^[[36m%}')"
yellow="$(echo -n '%{^[[33m%}')"
normal="$(echo -n '%{^[[0m%}')"
export PS1="%(?.${yellow}.${red})%~%(!.${red}#.${cyan}%%)${normal} "

This works great, until I su root.  As my normal user, I get color and
everything looks like it should.  It looks like
/usr/local%
^yellow   ^cyan

When I su, the prompt turns to
%(?.%{%}.%{%})%~%(!.%{%}#.%{%}%%)%{%}
      ^yel ^red             ^cyan  ^ normal

where I have marked the spots where the gibberish changes colors.  It
appears that the color change commands are interpreted at the wrong time.
If I type "echo $PS1", I get the same thing.  If I then start a new shell
as root (by typing "zsh"), things work as expected.

Why doesn't PS1 make it through the su?  How do I get it to work, without
having to start up a new shell?

Thanks,
	John

* Re: PS1 corrupted through "su"
@ 2000-01-03 18:03 ` Christoph Berg
From: Christoph Berg @ 2000-01-03 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

I have another question concering the prompt stuff:

My $prompt looks like this:
prompt="%{^[]0;%n@%m:%/^G%}
[%B%{^[[31m%}%?%{^[[0m%}%b] %U%n@%m%u:%40<..<%B%{^[[34m%}%/%{^[[0m%}%b %#"

The main point is that it puts something like "cb@df7cb:/home/cb" in
xterm's title bar.

I would like to have the name of the command currently executed included
there and $POSTEDIT seems the right place to put the escape sequences
needed; however $POSTEDIT does not evaulate variable, so I only get
"%n@%m:%/" as title.

How can I tell zsh to evaluate %- and $-expressions and which variable
contains the command being executed?

... Christoph

PS: It would be nice to have quoting for ESC (^[), ^J etc. (e.g. \012)
--
Christoph Berg <cb@heim-d.uni-sb.de>
Wohnheim D, Zi. 2405, Universität des Saarlandes

* Re: PS1 corrupted through "su"
@ 2000-01-03 18:10 ` Steve Reid
From: Steve Reid @ 2000-01-03 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Galbraith; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 10:25:56AM -0700, John Galbraith wrote:
> export PS1="%(?.${yellow}.${red})%~%(!.${red}#.${cyan}%%)${normal} "
> This works great, until I su root.
[snip]
> If I then start a new shell as root (by typing "zsh"), things work as
> expected.

Root's shell being set to something other than zsh would cause the
behavior you're seeing.

You've probably checked that already, but sometimes the obvious things
are the easiest to forget.

* Re: PS1 corrupted through "su"
@ 2000-01-03 18:14   ` John Galbraith
From: John Galbraith @ 2000-01-03 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Reid; +Cc: John Galbraith, zsh-users

    Steve> Root's shell being set to something other than zsh would cause
    Steve> the behavior you're seeing.

    Steve> You've probably checked that already, but sometimes the obvious
    Steve> things are the easiest to forget.

Yeah, I have a special user "toor" that is root, but uses
/usr/local/bin/zsh as the shell.  I only actually use "root" itself if
/usr/local is either missing or not installed yet.  I once made the mistake
of setting the actual root shell to /usr/local/bin/zsh...

John

* Re: PS1 corrupted through "su"
@ 2000-01-03 18:23     ` Nemeth Ervin
From: Nemeth Ervin @ 2000-01-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Galbraith; +Cc: Steve Reid, zsh-users

Steve> Root's shell being set to something other than zsh would cause
Steve> the behavior you're seeing.

Steve> You've probably checked that already, but sometimes the obvious
Steve> things are the easiest to forget.

> Yeah, I have a special user "toor" that is root, but uses
> /usr/local/bin/zsh as the shell.  I only actually use "root" itself if
> /usr/local is either missing or not installed yet.  I once made the mistake
> of setting the actual root shell to /usr/local/bin/zsh...

I have a "suz" function wich sets te SHELL parameter to zsh and does an exec
zsh after suing.

--
  ____                 ____________________________________________________
 /____| NEMETH, ERVIN |____________________________________________________|
||	"Nonsense.  All you have to do is say 'Engage'"
||					-- Patrick Stewart about warp theory

* Re: PS1 corrupted through "su"
@ 2000-01-04  0:18     ` John Galbraith
From: John Galbraith @ 2000-01-04  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I seem to have answered my own question.  I had some strange file in my
home directory called .zsomething-or-other that I can't even remember what
it was called.  In it, it had 'PS1='.  I blew it away, and my problem went
with it.  I don't know how that file got there or how long it was there.  I
can do my su now, though.

John