zsh-users
* Re: All login shells are interactive?
@ 2002-10-13 17:56 ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2002-10-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alnesbit; +Cc: zsh-users

alnesbit@optushome.com.au writes:

> That's what the FAQ says, but I don't understand how this can be true.
> Surely you can have a non-interactive login shell, like, say
>
>     zsh -l -c 'echo Non-interactive login shell'

Yes indeed. And it is used by at least gnome-session and CDE when you
start an X session.

Phil.

* Re: All login shells are interactive?
@ 2002-10-13 21:48   ` Nadav Har'El
From: Nadav Har'El @ 2002-10-13 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Troin; +Cc: alnesbit, zsh-users

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002, Philippe Troin wrote about "Re: All login shells are interactive?":
> alnesbit@optushome.com.au writes:
> > That's what the FAQ says, but I don't understand how this can be true.
> > Surely you can have a non-interactive login shell, like, say
> >
> >     zsh -l -c 'echo Non-interactive login shell'
>
> Yes indeed. And it is used by at least gnome-session and CDE when you
> start an X session.

Right. I even use this trick myself: my ~/.xsession file starts with a

	#!/bin/zsh -l

line, so that it (and everything in it) gets run after zsh has read my
~/.zprofile, including all my enviroment variables (e.g., my PATH).

This is why when I wanted my .zprofile to print a welcome message only
for interactive login shells, I did something like this in .zprofile:

# We print this message only in a shell which is both interactive and a login
# shell. Alternatively we can move this message to zshrc, inside a test if $-
# contains l (i.e., a login shell).
case $- in
*i*)
    print "*** $ZSH_NAME $ZSH_VERSION, $VENDOR $MACHTYPE"
    print -P "Welcome to %m, %D{%A}, %D{%e %B %Y}, %t.";;
esac

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Sunday, Oct 13 2002, 8 Heshvan 5763
nyh@math.technion.ac.il             |-----------------------------------------

* All login shells are interactive?
@ 2002-10-14  1:22 alnesbit
From: alnesbit @ 2002-10-14  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

That's what the FAQ says, but I don't understand how this can be true.
Surely you can have a non-interactive login shell, like, say

    zsh -l -c 'echo Non-interactive login shell'

Andrew.

* Re: All login shells are interactive?
@ 2002-10-14 10:43 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-10-14 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

alnesbit@optushome.com.au wrote:
> That's what the FAQ says, but I don't understand how this can be true.
> Surely you can have a non-interactive login shell, like, say
>
>     zsh -l -c 'echo Non-interactive login shell'

Indeed,

% zsh -l -c '[[ -o interactive ]] && print I am interactive
quote> [[ -o login ]] && print I am a login shell'
I am a login shell

and it sources /etc/zlogin and .zlogin, too.  The manual never actually
defines the term `login shell', but in practice it's tied to the option.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: All login shells are interactive?
@ 2002-10-15  1:07   ` alnesbit
From: alnesbit @ 2002-10-15  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh users list

Thanks to all for the confirmation of my hunch.  I sent a bug-report to
zsh-workers@sunsite.dk.

Andrew