zsh-users
* Named directories expansion
@ 2004-06-09 16:21 DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-06-09 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

    Hello all :)

    Lets say I have a named directory:

    typeset -gx X=/var/X

    And I want to do something like:

    list=(**/*~(/explicit/path|~X))

    Will the named dir be expanded inside the expression? It doesn't
seems to be... In the manual I've read that each word is checked to
see if it starts with an unquoted '~', is that quoted inside a (...)
expression?

    Thanks a lot for your help :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: Named directories expansion
@ 2004-06-10 15:43 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-06-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, DervishD wrote:

>     list=(**/*~(/explicit/path|~X))
>
>     Will the named dir be expanded inside the expression?

No.

> In the manual I've read that each word is checked to see if it starts
> with an unquoted '~', is that quoted inside a (...) expression?

It's not quoted, but it's also not the start of a word.  "Word" here has
the very specific meaning of a shell-parser syntactic word, which means
that a word "starts" only immediately after an unquoted $IFS character, or
(as a special case) after a colon found to the right of the equal sign in
certain assignment expressions.

* Re: Named directories expansion
@ 2004-06-10 15:52 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-06-10 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Sorry, one further thought ...

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, DervishD wrote:

>     list=(**/*~(/explicit/path|~X))

All you need is to replace the tilde with a dollar:

	list=(**/*~(/explicit/path|$X))

* Re: Named directories expansion
@ 2004-06-10 16:34   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-06-10 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

    Hi Bart :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> > In the manual I've read that each word is checked to see if it starts
> > with an unquoted '~', is that quoted inside a (...) expression?
> It's not quoted, but it's also not the start of a word.

    OK, I understand, now. I had it running using $X instead of ~X,
since all named directories are, AFAIK, shell parameters too. I'll
try not to forgot what is a word and what is not :) Thanks a lot,
Bart :)