zsh-users
* zsh and line breaks
@ 2004-03-24 17:16 Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2004-03-24 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I'm having some trouble with zsh (4.0.6) and line breaks. It seems that
it does not accept "\n" as a line break. This results in some
uncomfortableness when using it as a login shell, such as this output
from Emacs:

[bkhl@ackusativ ~/kurser/vt04/lp1/lab1]% latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex
latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex\n

Apparently, zsh is not interpreting \n as EOL.

Is there some setting that might fix this?

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se>
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/

* Re: zsh and line breaks
@ 2004-03-24 18:44 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-03-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mar 24,  6:16pm, Björn Lindström wrote:
} Subject: zsh and line breaks
}
} I'm having some trouble with zsh (4.0.6) and line breaks
[...]
} from Emacs:

Running a shell in an emacs shell-mode buffer is entirely different than
running it in nearly any other circumstance.  Are you having this trouble
anywhere OUTSIDE of emacs?  If not, perhaps its an emacs setting that
needs to be changed, rather than a zsh setting ...

The first thing to try is typing ctrl-j rather than return.  If that works
to get zsh to recognize a command, try assigning TERM=emacs i.e.:

[bkhl@ackusativ ~/kurser/vt04/lp1/lab1]% TERM=emacs<ctrl-j>

You may get a complaint about the terminal type emacs not found, but zsh
may begin behaving a lot better.

* Re: zsh and line breaks
@ 2004-03-29 10:53 ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2004-03-29 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:16:00 +0100,  wrote:

>I'm having some trouble with zsh (4.0.6) and line breaks. It seems that
>it does not accept "\n" as a line break. This results in some
>uncomfortableness when using it as a login shell, such as this output
>from Emacs:
>
>[bkhl@ackusativ ~/kurser/vt04/lp1/lab1]% latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex
>latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex\n
>
>Apparently, zsh is not interpreting \n as EOL.
>
>Is there some setting that might fix this?

I run zsh on Cygwin, unlike bash zsh gets very upset if it sees dos
returns. I have to run dos2unix on my zsh scripts.

I haven't seen an explanation for this

zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s/^/WhfgTNabgureRIvzSUnpxre/|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal ggVGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips

* Re: zsh and line breaks
@ 2004-03-29 22:46   ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2004-03-29 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users, cygwin

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, zzapper wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:16:00 +0100,  wrote:
>
> >I'm having some trouble with zsh (4.0.6) and line breaks. It seems that
> >it does not accept "\n" as a line break. This results in some
> >uncomfortableness when using it as a login shell, such as this output
> >from Emacs:
> >
> >[bkhl@ackusativ ~/kurser/vt04/lp1/lab1]% latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex
> >latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex\n
> >
> >Apparently, zsh is not interpreting \n as EOL.
> >
> >Is there some setting that might fix this?
>
> I run zsh on Cygwin, unlike bash zsh gets very upset if it sees dos
> returns. I have to run dos2unix on my zsh scripts.
>
> I haven't seen an explanation for this

Hmm... I'll have to look into this.  I thought I'd corrected this for
Cygwin...

One thing, are you running your scripts off of a text or binary mount
filesystem?  And, are you running in DOS or Unix mode?  I'll need to know
which combinations don't work.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>

* Re: zsh and line breaks
@ 2004-03-30  7:35     ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2004-03-30  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:46:15 -0800 (PST),  wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, zzapper wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:16:00 +0100,  wrote:
>>
>> >I'm having some trouble with zsh (4.0.6) and line breaks. It seems that
>> >it does not accept "\n" as a line break. This results in some
>> >uncomfortableness when using it as a login shell, such as this output
>> >from Emacs:
>> >
>> >[bkhl@ackusativ ~/kurser/vt04/lp1/lab1]% latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex
>> >latex \\nonstopmode\\input rapport.tex\n
>> >
>> >Apparently, zsh is not interpreting \n as EOL.
>> >
>> >Is there some setting that might fix this?
>>
>> I run zsh on Cygwin, unlike bash zsh gets very upset if it sees dos
>> returns. I have to run dos2unix on my zsh scripts.

One thing, are you running your scripts off of a text or binary mount
filesystem?  And, are you running in DOS or Unix mode?  I'll need to
know
which combinations don't work.

> Where fred has a few empty lines and an echo "hello"
fred.sh
fred
fred.sh:2: command not found: ^M
fred.sh:3: command not found: ^M
fred.sh:4: command not found: ^M
fred
fred.sh:5: command not found: ^M

>mount
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type
system (binmode)
C:\Cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\Cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\Cygwin on / type system (binmode)
 type user (binmode)
c: on /c type user (binmode)

zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

@ 2004-03-30 18:46       ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2004-03-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users, cygwin

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, zzapper wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:46:15 -0800 (PST),  wrote:

> >> I run zsh on Cygwin, unlike bash zsh gets very upset if it sees dos
> >> returns. I have to run dos2unix on my zsh scripts.
> >>
> One thing, are you running your scripts off of a text or binary mount
> filesystem?  And, are you running in DOS or Unix mode?  I'll need to
> know which combinations don't work.
>
> > Where fred has a few empty lines and an echo "hello"
> fred.sh
> fred
> fred.sh:2: command not found: ^M
> fred.sh:3: command not found: ^M
> fred.sh:4: command not found: ^M
> fred
> fred.sh:5: command not found: ^M
>
> >mount
> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type
> system (binmode)
> C:\Cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
> C:\Cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
> C:\Cygwin on / type system (binmode)
>  type user (binmode)
> c: on /c type user (binmode)

Ok, so you're using all bin mounts.  I'll check into this and report back.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>