zsh-users
* No newline, no print.
@ 2003-12-12 20:44 N. Thomas
From: N. Thomas @ 2003-12-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

When I print something to stdout that doesn't have a newline at the end,
Z-Shell refuses to print it. Note the following Perl program:

    print "My name is Bob.\n";

I run like so:

    prompt$ perl nl.pl
    My name is Bob.
    prompt$

Now, using my advanced knowledge of Perl, I change the program to this:

    print "My name is Mud.";

(note the missing newline) and I run again:

    prompt$ perl nonl.pl
    prompt$

Nothing!

To be honest, I do see it -- but it is overwritten by $PS1 a
split-second later.

Not that I spend my time writing Perl programs without newlines in them
(I use Python), but oftentimes badly written programs or processes that
crash will occasionally output something without this newline and I
usually don't catch it quickly enough.

That other shell does this:

    trash-2.01$ perl nonl.pl
    My name is Mud.trash-2.01$

Note how it doesn't overwrite the output -- this is what I'd like
Z-Shell to do. How can I?

thanks,
Thomas

--
N. Thomas
nthomas@cise.ufl.edu

* Re: No newline, no print.
@ 2003-12-12 20:52 ` Jean Chalard
From: Jean Chalard @ 2003-12-12 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N. Thomas; +Cc: zsh-users

> When I print something to stdout that doesn't have a newline at the end,
> Z-Shell refuses to print it. Note the following Perl program:
>
>     print "My name is Bob.\n";

setopt no_prompt_cr

But you could as well have read the mailing list archive.
(This one comes up pretty often)

* Re: No newline, no print.
@ 2003-12-15 18:23   ` jayjwa
From: jayjwa @ 2003-12-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Jean Chalard wrote:

> Subject: Re: No newline, no print.

> > When I print something to stdout that doesn't have a newline at the end,
> > Z-Shell refuses to print it. Note the following Perl program:

> >     print "My name is Bob.\n";

> setopt no_prompt_cr

Thanks. I too was puzzled by this, but I certainly didn't think it had
anything to do with Zsh. Works fine now ;)

=-=-=.:|DISTRIBUTION|PROGRAMMING|RESEARCH|PORTAL|:.-=-=
[jayjwa] RLF#37       Raq glenaal: Nffnfvangr Ovyy Tngrf
[Atr2.Ath.Cx Labs]                  Jvaqbjf vf n qvfrnfr
Finger for proj.       "Putting encryption to good use."
silc://atr2.ath.cx:706..........Silc: http://silcnet.org
=Linux Tough.Powered By Slackware=-HTTPS|FTP|SILC|SSH-=

* Re: No newline, no print.
@ 2003-12-19 11:49   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2003-12-19 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:52:13 +0100, Jean Chalard
<jean.chalard@epita.fr> wrote:

>> When I print something to stdout that doesn't have a newline at the end,
>> Z-Shell refuses to print it. Note the following Perl program:
>>
>>     print "My name is Bob.\n";
>
>setopt no_prompt_cr
>
>But you could as well have read the mailing list archive.
>(This one comes up pretty often)

I'd STRONGLY recommend that u set "setopt no_prompt_cr" this in your
.zshrc tout de suite if you're a Perl Programmer

zzapper (vim & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s/^/WhfgTNabgureRIvzSUnpxre/|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal ggVGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips