zsh-users
* scp and noglob
@ 2004-11-29 20:56 Jens Kubieziel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jens Kubieziel @ 2004-11-29 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

I often use scp to transfer multiple files. Assume I want to transfer
all *.c-files, I enter:
scp $SERVER:*.c .
Zsh tries to expand *.c and I have to insert a 'noglob'. Is there a way
to tell zsh to don't expand all filenames which are on the serverside?

Thanks for hints
--
Jens Kubieziel                                   http://www.kubieziel.de
Wer hohe Türme bauen will, muß lange beim Fundament verweilen. Dr. hc.

* Re: scp and noglob
@ 2004-11-29 22:19 ` Jay Guerette
From: Jay Guerette @ 2004-11-29 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

The easiest way is to simply escape the '*'

scp $SERVER:\*.c

@ 2004-11-30  0:26 ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2004-11-30  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Kubieziel; +Cc: zsh-users

Jens Kubieziel <maillist@kubieziel.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I often use scp to transfer multiple files. Assume I want to transfer
> all *.c-files, I enter:
> scp $SERVER:*.c .
> Zsh tries to expand *.c and I have to insert a 'noglob'. Is there a way
> to tell zsh to don't expand all filenames which are on the serverside?

alias scp='noglob command scp'

maybe?
Phil.

* Re: scp and noglob
@ 2004-11-30  1:59 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-11-30  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Jens Kubieziel wrote:

> scp $SERVER:*.c .
> Zsh tries to expand *.c and I have to insert a 'noglob'. Is there a way
> to tell zsh to don't expand all filenames which are on the serverside?

If you have zsh 4.2.x, try the url-quote-magic widget that's included in
the Functions/Zle directory in the distribution.  Load it like this:

  autoload -U url-quote-magic
  zle -N self-insert url-quote-magic

Then trick it into treating any hostname as a URL scheme when the command
name is "scp", by doing this (note placement of single/double quotes):

  zstyle -e :urlglobber url-other-schema \
    '[[ $words[1] == scp ]] && reply=("*") || reply=(http https ftp)'

(Read the comments in the function file for an explanation of why the
context is ":urlglobber", if you care.)

Then just type your scp command and watch what happens.

* Re: scp and noglob
@ 2004-11-30  9:10   ` David Gómez
From: David Gómez @ 2004-11-30  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Troin; +Cc: Jens Kubieziel, zsh-users

Hi Philippe ;),

> > I often use scp to transfer multiple files. Assume I want to transfer
> > all *.c-files, I enter:
> > scp $SERVER:*.c .
> > Zsh tries to expand *.c and I have to insert a 'noglob'. Is there a way
> > to tell zsh to don't expand all filenames which are on the serverside?
>
> alias scp='noglob command scp'
>
> maybe?

But sometimes you need globbing in the client part, so you'll have to
expand (tab-tab) the list to make the command line to work.

regards,

--
David Gómez                                      Jabber ID: davidge@jabber.org