zsh-users
* Tab Completion of filenames/dirs has stopped working.
@ 2005-12-12 12:35 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-12-12 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi Y'All

I upgraded to latest version a few days ago. All seemed fine. But without me being aware of changing
my setup; suddenly when I launch a new shell, the screen fills with a list of the prototypes of all
my functions/scripts (but no apparent error message). All seems however fine except that the
absolutely essential tab completion no longer functions (tab apparently ignored)

Also I've noticed that I don't need to reload changed scripts?

Where start looky?

$ zsh --version
zsh 4.2.6 (i686-pc-cygwin)

--
zzapper
Success for Techies and Vim,Zsh tips

* Re: Tab Completion of filenames/dirs has stopped working.
@ 2005-12-12 12:47 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-12-12 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

zzapper wrote:
> Where start looky?

Start the shell with the -x option and look at the output.  If you have
a working and a non-working version compare the two.

* Re: Tab Completion of filenames/dirs has stopped working.
@ 2005-12-12 13:02   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-12-12 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:47:29 +0000,  wrote:

>zzapper wrote:
>> Where start looky?
>
>Start the shell with the -x option and look at the output.  If you have
>a working and a non-working version compare the two.
PWS
It's solved if I comment out

compinit -i

--

@ 2005-12-12 15:44     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-12-12 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper, zsh-users

On Dec 12,  1:02pm, zzapper wrote:
}
} It's solved if I comment out
}
} compinit -i

The -i flag tell compinit to check for files or directories that might
be writable by a malicious third party, and to ignore them.  It also
warns you about which files/directories it is ignoring.

So apparently when your latest version was installed, permissions or
file ownership on the completion directories in $fpath were left in an
insecure state.

* Re: Tab Completion of filenames/dirs has stopped working.
@ 2005-12-14  0:02     ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2005-12-14  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, zzapper wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:47:29 +0000,  wrote:
>
>> zzapper wrote:
>>> Where start looky?
>>
>> Start the shell with the -x option and look at the output.  If you have
>> a working and a non-working version compare the two.
> PWS
> It's solved if I comment out
>
> compinit -i

That doesn't quite make sense.  Are you running the shell with -x or -v?

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>