zsh-users
* How to delete current directory
@ 2006-07-06 10:14 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2006-07-06 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi
Don't know whether this is useful/dangerous.

How to delete current directory (and any files) picking up directory name
from $PWD (you also need to move out of directory first)

--
http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips

* Re: How to delete current directory
@ 2006-07-06 14:33 ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2006-07-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

hi,

  alias lrm='cd ..; rm -rf $OLDPWD'

regards
mc

@ 2006-07-06 14:42   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2006-07-06 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Marc Chantreux <marc.chantreux@ulpmm.u-strasbg.fr> wrote in

> hi,
>
>   alias lrm='cd ..; rm -rf $OLDPWD'
>
> regards
> mc
Like it, I was cleaning up some old directories which had similar numeric
hard to remember names.
zzapper

--

@ 2006-07-06 17:03   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-07-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jul 6,  4:33pm, Marc Chantreux wrote:
}
}   alias lrm='cd ..; rm -rf $OLDPWD'

I'd suggest a small change:

    alias ;rm='cd .. && rm -rf $OLDPWD'

If for any reason the "cd" were to fail, unlikely as that may be, you
wouldn't want to rm the wrong $OLDPWD.

* Re: How to delete current directory
@ 2006-07-07  7:48     ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2006-07-07  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I'd suggest a small change:
>     alias ;rm='cd .. && rm -rf $OLDPWD'
> If for any reason the "cd" were to fail, unlikely as that may be, you
> wouldn't want to rm the wrong $OLDPWD.

cd failed ? all right : don't use lrm in / ! ;)

* Re: How to delete current directory
@ 2006-07-07 11:13     ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2006-07-07 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote in

> On Jul 6,  4:33pm, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> }
> }   alias lrm='cd ..; rm -rf $OLDPWD'
>
> I'd suggest a small change:
>
>     alias ;rm='cd .. && rm -rf $OLDPWD'
>
> If for any reason the "cd" were to fail, unlikely as that may be, you
> wouldn't want to rm the wrong $OLDPWD.

Is there are mechanism in zsh which will allow the rm -r to start off in
confirm mode ie "do you want to delete this file" and then choose "all"??

--

@ 2006-07-08 18:36       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-07-08 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Jul 7, 11:13am, zzapper wrote:
} Subject: Re: How to delete current directory
}
} >     alias lrm='cd .. && rm -rf $OLDPWD'
} >
} > If for any reason the "cd" were to fail, unlikely as that may be, you
} > wouldn't want to rm the wrong $OLDPWD.
} >
} >
} Is there are mechanism in zsh which will allow the rm -r to start off in
} confirm mode ie "do you want to delete this file" and then choose "all"??

    unalias lrm
    function lrm {
        setopt localoptions glob_dots no_rm_star_silent
        cd .. || return
	rm -rf $OLDPWD/* && rmdir $OLDPWD
	[[ ! -d $OLDPWD ]] || { cd $OLDPWD && return 1 }
    }

I rigged it so that if you say "no" you don't even change directories.
You could even throw rm_start_wait onto the end of the setopt if you
are extra-paranoid.

Unfortunately saying "no" doesn't cause "rm" to return a failure status,
so the "rmdir" is attempted either way.

Aside to zsh-workers:  It'd be nice if I didn't have to setopt glob_dots
there, but
    rm -rf $OLDPWD/*(D)
does not trigger rm_star handling because "*(D)" != "*".  That seems a
bad thing.

* Re: How to delete current directory
@ 2006-07-10 16:14         ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2006-07-10 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote in news:060708113648.ZM8815
@torch.brasslantern.com:

> function lrm {
>         setopt localoptions glob_dots no_rm_star_silent
>         cd .. || return
>      rm -rf $OLDPWD/* && rmdir $OLDPWD
>      [[ ! -d $OLDPWD ]] || { cd $OLDPWD && return 1 }
>     }

BS
That's cool displays directory name before you confirm delete

--
http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips