zsh-users
* Copying certain subdirectories retaining structure
@ 2014-02-22 20:06 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2014-02-22 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I want to copy all files in subdirectories named /good/ to a USB while
retaining directory structure

/aaa/pic/good
/aan/dogs/good/
/dir1/dir2/dir3/good/

--
zzapper
https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

---

* Re: Copying certain subdirectories retaining structure
@ 2014-02-22 21:40 ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2014-02-22 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

On Sat, 2014-02-22 at 20:06 +0000, zzapper wrote:
> I want to copy all files in subdirectories named /good/ to a USB while
> retaining directory structure
>
> /aaa/pic/good
> /aan/dogs/good/
> /dir1/dir2/dir3/good/

for i in **/good(/)
do
  dest=/media/usbkey/$i
  mkdir -p $i:h
  cp -a $i /media/usbkey/$i
done

Phil.

* Re: Copying certain subdirectories retaining structure
@ 2014-02-22 22:02   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2014-02-22 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> wrote in

> for i in **/good(/)
> do
>   dest=/media/usbkey/$i
>   mkdir -p $i:h
>   cp -a $i /media/usbkey/$i
> done
>
> Phil.
Looks good . the clever bit is the mkdir -p $i:h

--

@ 2014-02-23  3:22   ` Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2014-02-23  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 02/22/2014 01:40 PM, Philippe Troin wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-02-22 at 20:06 +0000, zzapper wrote:
>> I want to copy all files in subdirectories named /good/ to a USB while
>> retaining directory structure
>>
>> /aaa/pic/good
>> /aan/dogs/good/
>> /dir1/dir2/dir3/good/
> for i in **/good(/)
> do
>    dest=/media/usbkey/$i
>    mkdir -p $i:h
>    cp -a $i /media/usbkey/$i
> done
>
> Phil.

This is less elegant but maybe more direct:

  find . -name target -type d -exec cp --parents -r '{}' /aWorking/temp \;

.... where 'target' is the name of the dir you're looking for and in
this test case, I'm copying to /aWorking/temp/ from /aWorking/aJunk/

source tree:

pts/2 HP-y5-10-Debian1 root /aWorking/aJunk $ t
.
├── [ 12K]  one
│   └── [8.0K]  two
│       └── [4.0K]  target
├── [ 20K]  onea
│   └── [ 16K]  twoa
│       └── [ 12K]  threea
│           └── [8.0K]  target
│               ├── [   0]  file1
│               ├── [   0]  file2
│               ├── [   0]  file3
│               └── [4.0K]  subdir
│                   ├── [   0]  file1
│                   ├── [   0]  file2
│                   └── [   0]  file3
└── [ 20K]  oneb
     ├── [   0]  file1
     ├── [   0]  file2
     ├── [   0]  file3
     └── [ 16K]  twob
         └── [ 12K]  target
             ├── [   0]  file1
             ├── [   0]  file2
             ├── [   0]  file3
             └── [8.0K]  target
                 └── [4.0K]  target

   56K used in 13 directories, 12 files

target tree:

pts/2 HP-y5-10-Debian1 root /aWorking/temp $ t
.
├── [ 12K]  one
│   └── [8.0K]  two
│       └── [4.0K]  target
├── [ 20K]  onea
│   └── [ 16K]  twoa
│       └── [ 12K]  threea
│           └── [8.0K]  target
│               ├── [   0]  file1
│               ├── [   0]  file2
│               ├── [   0]  file3
│               └── [4.0K]  subdir
│                   ├── [   0]  file1
│                   ├── [   0]  file2
│                   └── [   0]  file3
└── [ 20K]  oneb
     └── [ 16K]  twob
         └── [ 12K]  target
             ├── [   0]  file1
             ├── [   0]  file2
             ├── [   0]  file3
             └── [8.0K]  target
                 └── [4.0K]  target

   56K used in 13 directories, 9 files

... correctly missing three files.

* Re: Copying certain subdirectories retaining structure
@ 2014-02-23  7:15 ` lilydjwg
From: lilydjwg @ 2014-02-23  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 08:06:32PM +0000, zzapper wrote:
> I want to copy all files in subdirectories named /good/ to a USB while
> retaining directory structure
>
> /aaa/pic/good
> /aan/dogs/good/
> /dir1/dir2/dir3/good/

I always find tar is great for copying lots of files:

tar c **/good(/) | tar xv -C /media/usbkey

--
Best regards,
lilydjwg

* Re: Copying certain subdirectories retaining structure
@ 2014-02-24 22:33   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2014-02-24 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

lilydjwg <lilydjwg@gmail.com> wrote in news:20140223071542.GA25203
@lilyforest:

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 08:06:32PM +0000, zzapper wrote:
>> I want to copy all files in subdirectories named /good/ to a USB while
>> retaining directory structure
>>
>> /aaa/pic/good
>> /aan/dogs/good/
>> /dir1/dir2/dir3/good/
>
> I always find tar is great for copying lots of files:
>
> tar c **/good(/) | tar xv -C /media/usbkey

The 3 answers demonstrate the versatility of *nix.

thanks!