zsh-users
 help / color / Atom feed
* minor annoyance when I use TAB completion
@ 2019-10-28 13:21 Fourhundred Thecat
  2019-10-28 13:25 ` Roman Perepelitsa
  2019-10-28 15:41 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Fourhundred Thecat @ 2019-10-28 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

I have minor annoyance when I use TAB completion in zsh:

When I type "lso" and hit TAB to complete:

  lso<TAB>

the completion successfully completes to "lsof" and my commandline looks
like this:

  lsof <cursor>

notice the one space between lsof and the cursor. But when I start
typing, the space disappears (cursor jumps back), and whatever I typed
is glued to lsof, ie

  lsof| grep

instead of

  lsof | grep

could anybody please advise how to fix this, before it drives me crazy ?
The problem is when I use ctrl+w to delete word backwards, I want to
delete "|" as one word and not "lsof|"

thanks,

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: minor annoyance when I use TAB completion
  2019-10-28 13:21 minor annoyance when I use TAB completion Fourhundred Thecat
@ 2019-10-28 13:25 ` Roman Perepelitsa
  2019-10-28 13:42   ` Fourhundred Thecat
  2019-10-28 15:41 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2019-10-28 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fourhundred Thecat; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat@gmx.ch> wrote:
> ...
> could anybody please advise how to fix this, before it drives me crazy ?

This:

   ZLE_REMOVE_SUFFIX_CHARS=''

Search for ZLE_REMOVE_SUFFIX_CHARS in `man zshparam` for documentation.

Roman.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: minor annoyance when I use TAB completion
  2019-10-28 13:25 ` Roman Perepelitsa
@ 2019-10-28 13:42   ` Fourhundred Thecat
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Fourhundred Thecat @ 2019-10-28 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

> On 2019-10-28 14:25, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
>    ZLE_REMOVE_SUFFIX_CHARS=''

many thanks!

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: minor annoyance when I use TAB completion
  2019-10-28 13:21 minor annoyance when I use TAB completion Fourhundred Thecat
  2019-10-28 13:25 ` Roman Perepelitsa
@ 2019-10-28 15:41 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
  2019-11-02 14:36   ` zzapper
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-10-28 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fourhundred Thecat; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 14:22, Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have minor annoyance when I use TAB completion in zsh:
>
> When I type "lso" and hit TAB to complete:
>
>   lso<TAB>
>
> the completion successfully completes to "lsof" and my commandline looks
> like this:
>
>   lsof <cursor>
>
> notice the one space between lsof and the cursor. But when I start
> typing, the space disappears (cursor jumps back), and whatever I typed
> is glued to lsof, ie
>
>   lsof| grep
>
> instead of
>
>   lsof | grep
>
> could anybody please advise how to fix this, before it drives me crazy ?
> The problem is when I use ctrl+w to delete word backwards, I want to
> delete "|" as one word and not "lsof|"
>
> thanks,

I have somewhat a reversed issue. I use:

zstyle ':completion:*:*:*:default' menu yes select search

so I can search through the completions. When I accept an entry,
either with a double-enter or a space:

bindkey -M menuselect ' ' .accept-line

I then have a space added after the accepted entry. And it doesn't get
removed when I continue typing, like in the author's post. I would
like to have it removed. Note, that it's not possible to bind custom
widgets to the menuselect key map.

-- 
Sebastian Gniazdowski
News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI
IRC: https://kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net:+6697/#zplugin
Blog: http://zdharma.org

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: minor annoyance when I use TAB completion
  2019-10-28 15:41 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
@ 2019-11-02 14:36   ` zzapper
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: zzapper @ 2019-11-02 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote in
news:CAKc7PVCu1w71id+LxrGbkVHEhfKRwL946UyrZog5xHw2_9XrMg@mail.gmail.com: 

> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 14:22, Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat@gmx.ch>

> 
> I have somewhat a reversed issue. I use:
> 
> zstyle ':completion:*:*:*:default' menu yes select search
> 
> so I can search through the completions. When I accept an entry,
> either with a double-enter or a space:
> 
> bindkey -M menuselect ' ' .accept-line
> 
> I then have a space added after the accepted entry. And it doesn't get
> removed when I continue typing, like in the author's post. I would
> like to have it removed. Note, that it's not possible to bind custom
> widgets to the menuselect key map.
> 

Any response to this ? The extra space annoys me when I want double tab 
expand an alias. Bart S. once showed me a solution but it didn't work 
for me.

-- 
zzapper
https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-10-28 13:21 minor annoyance when I use TAB completion Fourhundred Thecat
2019-10-28 13:25 ` Roman Perepelitsa
2019-10-28 13:42   ` Fourhundred Thecat
2019-10-28 15:41 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
2019-11-02 14:36   ` zzapper

zsh-users

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/zsh-users

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.zsh.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git