zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: completion of filenames
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 07:59:59 -0800	[thread overview]

On 2019-12-10 8:59 a.m., Ray Andrews wrote:
> On 2019-12-10 8:30 a.m., Peter Stephenson wrote:
>>
>> Suffix aliases are already handled.  So if it's a file in the current
>> directory,
>> you should find typing ./<tab> completes files with a suffix alias
>> defined.
>>
>> pws
>>
> Doesn't work.  This could be something I've botched up myself. Here's
> what I think is relevant:

If no one has any ideas about this, I'm tempted to try to tinker with it
myself.  Where is 'expand-or-complete' defined?  The string shows up
dozens of times but I can't find the widget definition. Or, isn't there
a file somewhere that defines the proper completions for a given
command?  Yeah, I saw it once but can't remember where it is.  Anyway,
supposing that I hid that file?  If it can't do any of those match-ups
between a  command and it's valid completions, might it not just give up
and complete the filenames anyway?  Or, just make a sort of 'universal'
command or nul command that always completes on filenames.  Dunno,  but
it seems that simply bypassing the initial search for a command should
be doable.  What I do now is type a one letter command that's a function
equivalent to 'edit', then however many letters to start the filename,
then hit TAB to complete on filenames, then go to the beginning of the
line, erase the single letter command, and voila, I have my completed
filename. Perhaps that operation can be made into a widget?  I found a
few custom widgets on the web but none that do any such thing, but I'd
bet it can be done.  The customizations that are on offer are mind
boggling, but in my case it's the simple thing that's hard to do.