On 2024-05-17 10:29, Thomas Lauer wrote: > Most if not all modern SSDs don't need this sort of massaging anymore. > (Having said that, I still have all browser caches (and much besides) on > a RAM disk.) This might sound silly but for me it's a matter of principle, I believe in frugality for it's own sake, it cultivates the 'right' mindset.  But from what I understand these SSDs are very good at reallocating cells that have reached their write limits, so a nearly empty disk -- everything I have is under 30G and the disk is 240G -- gives lots of room for that kind of thing.  smartctl reports the disk has 92% of its life left.  I guess with solid state they can be quite sure of that  number, vs. the rather harder to predict life of mechanical parts.