zsh-users
* /foo/b<tab> accessing paths other than /foo/*
@ 2008-12-28 14:12 Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2008-12-28 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users' List

Greetings,

I have a spindown timeout for hard disks that are mounted to
/storage{,2,3,4,5}.  Now, when I say, for example,
/storage5/src/k<tab>, the completion system apparently accesses
all those other storage* directories because the disks spin up.

Is it possible to configure the system so that it doesn't do that?
If I loose some /storage5/src/k<tab> => oops, it was actually
under storage4 => /storage4/src/kernel correction feature, that's ok.

--
Hannu

* Re: /foo/b<tab> accessing paths other than /foo/*
@ 2008-12-28 14:36 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2008-12-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu Koivisto; +Cc: Zsh Users' List

2008/12/28 Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi>:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a spindown timeout for hard disks that are mounted to
> /storage{,2,3,4,5}.  Now, when I say, for example,
> /storage5/src/k<tab>, the completion system apparently accesses
> all those other storage* directories because the disks spin up.
>
> Is it possible to configure the system so that it doesn't do that?
> If I loose some /storage5/src/k<tab> => oops, it was actually
> under storage4 => /storage4/src/kernel correction feature, that's ok.

IIRC there was a change quite recently to make it like you want, have
you tried 4.3.9? You could also disable the _correct (i think, not at
home so can't check) completer.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: /foo/b<tab> accessing paths other than /foo/*
@ 2008-12-28 17:26   ` Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2008-12-28 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Zsh Users' List

"Mikael Magnusson" <mikachu@gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/12/28 Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi>:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a spindown timeout for hard disks that are mounted to
>> /storage{,2,3,4,5}.  Now, when I say, for example,
>> /storage5/src/k<tab>, the completion system apparently accesses
>> all those other storage* directories because the disks spin up.
>>
>> Is it possible to configure the system so that it doesn't do that?
>
> IIRC there was a change quite recently to make it like you want, have
> you tried 4.3.9? You could also disable the _correct (i think, not at
> home so can't check) completer.

The distribution I use has 4.3.4 and I'd rather not upgrade
the entire zsh "manually" if possible.  I do have some completion
stuff such as _git from the CVS version in my personal fpath.

I'm not quite sure what's the correct way to disable _correct
completer, but since the manual says the default is

zstyle ':completion:*' completer _complete _correct

I tried just "zstyle ':completion:*' completer _complete" but that
didn't seem to help.  Oh well, at least it's good to know that this
problem will go away when I finally get 4.3.9.

Thanks,
--

@ 2008-12-28 19:10 ` Benjamin R. Haskell
From: Benjamin R. Haskell @ 2008-12-28 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Hannu Koivisto wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a spindown timeout for hard disks that are mounted to
> /storage{,2,3,4,5}.  Now, when I say, for example, /storage5/src/k<tab>,
> the completion system apparently accesses all those other storage*
> directories because the disks spin up.
>

> Is it possible to configure the system so that it doesn't do that? If I
> loose some /storage5/src/k<tab> => oops, it was actually under storage4
> => /storage4/src/kernel correction feature, that's ok.

Bart Schaefer explained why it does this (basically the "correction
feature" you conjectured), and gave a workaround at:

http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2008/msg00472.html

Peter Stephenson provided a patch that's probably a better workaround:

http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2008/msg00475.html

I think the patch should apply cleanly against Zsh 4.3.4 -- I'm pretty
sure that's what was in Cygwin at that time, and it solved my problem.
It's also been applied in CVS, and was there pre-4.3.9.

Best,
Ben