zsh-users
* How to efficiently allow * in a cml string
@ 2021-11-24  5:06 jdh
From: jdh @ 2021-11-24  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I don't fancy the idea of always using a backslash * to escape the asterisk for a simple script I wrote and one which will never use the * as a wildcard character.

For now I'm using a '@' in it's stead and doing a :gs/@/* to change the @'s into *'.

But, I really want to use the * as is and not have to use @ and then convert it.

Is there some way the invoiked script can reach into the buffer before zsh complains about the *.

I've tried:  'unsetop GLOB' but that didn't work.

Simple example: How can I get a script to do 2*4 in the below simple version:

	$  calculate  2*4

Thanks.

* Re: How to efficiently allow * in a cml string
@ 2021-11-26  5:46 ` Lawrence Velázquez
From: Lawrence Velázquez @ 2021-11-26  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdh; +Cc: zsh-users

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021, at 12:06 AM, jdh wrote:
> Is there some way the invoiked script can reach into the buffer before
> zsh complains about the *.
>
> I've tried:  'unsetop GLOB' but that didn't work.

Well yeah, filename expansion happens before the script executes.

> Simple example: How can I get a script to do 2*4 in the below simple version:
>
> 	$  calculate  2*4

Presumably you won't be satisfied with

    calculate '2*4'

or

    noglob calculate 2*4

You may want to read through this thread beginning with users/27103,
which already covered a lot of the same ground.

https://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2021/msg00815.html

--
vq