zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: Odd behavior with various (q) array modifiers and non-printable characters (backspace, newline)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 06:34:45 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2021-08-11 5:22 p.m., Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 4:25 PM Zach Riggle <zachriggle@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TLDR 2: I also learned that (q+) is my new favorite, and my code
>> should use "command echo" to avoid the above behavior.
I'd like to add the anecdotal remark that there were many situations
where I thought I'd solved a problem with (q) or (Q) or (q+) and it
turned out that these things only made more trouble in the end. Better
solutions were to be found that didn't involve the Q continuum.  Being
only semi-literate as I am, sometimes the mystery never did get solved
-- I had some issue, (q...) seemed the fix it, then (q...) started
breaking things, I remove the (q...) and it seems like there never was a
problem to begin with, probably because I made some other change that
obviated the original issue.   If Zach's experience is like mine he
might end up being weary of the Q himself.

One of my astronomy packages creates this helpful directory and file:

       4096 [2021-01-01--14:03] Sky above 49°30'N 123°30'W at Sun 2020
Dec 20 20 26_files/
       22213 [2020-12-20--12:27] Sky above 49°30'N 123°30'W at Sun 2020
Dec 20 20 26.html

... and I always throw any change I make in one of my functions at those
files as torture tests because any change is likely to break when it
encounters those -- the internal quote or the special characters or the
spaces are ultra fragile and only the exactly perfect code handles all
of them at the same time.  Q seemed to help at times, but again, it
often was a false friend.  I'm still far from clear on how you
absolutely, perfectly protect *any* filename or string every time even
on Mondays and even if it's a filename that the Devil himself wouldn't
make ... but I get closer all the time.  Zach will get the right advice
tho and not from me.