Hi Steve, On 30.08.2021 20:13, Steve Dondley wrote: > I switched to zsh last week and learning the ropes. My .zshrc is quickly > growing out of hand. I basically went all-in on the Oh My Zsh approach and created my own theme and my own set of plugins. I basically have this: orcus ~ [0:0]> \ls -d .oh-my-zsh.custom/* .oh-my-zsh.custom/oh-my-zsh.custom.sh .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins .oh-my-zsh.custom/themes .oh-my-zsh.custom/tools I have my own theme "mklemm" that defines the prompt style and the general behavior of my Zsh instances. The plugins folder then has a few plugins that I wrote to easily absorb different machines (or where I create a "fork" of the original Zsh plugin for myself): orcus ~ [0:0]> \ls -d .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/* .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/anaconda .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/autosuggestions .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/conda-zsh-completion .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/direnv .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/extract .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/fastfile .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/fritzbox .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/history-search-multi-word .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/k .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/mklemm .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/slurm .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/zsh-completions .oh-my-zsh.custom/plugins/zsh-syntax-highlighting In my .zshrc, I then have this: if [[ -e "${HOME}/.myzshrc.local.zsh" ]]; then source "${HOME}/.myzshrc.local.zsh" fi export ZSH_CUSTOM="${HOME}/.oh-my-zsh.custom" export ZSH_THEME="mklemm" plugins=( autosuggestions colorize [...] $local_plugins ) source $HOME/.oh-my-zsh.custom/oh-my-zsh.custom.sh source $HOME/.oh-my-zsh/oh-my-zsh.sh The way this works is that if there's a "${HOME}/.myzshrc.local.zsh" it is sourced and does some machine-specific adjustments that are not contained in the general .zshrc file. That local script can also set local_plugins to a list with plugins that I only want/need on that machine (e.g., a plugin to work with the SLURM job scheduler on an HPC system). > Now I'm wondering if there is some similar mechanism for adding aliases > with ohmyzsh. If not, what's everyone else doing who has a couple > hundred aliases. Are you just throwing them all into .zshrc or doing > something to help manage all your aliases? Most aliases with Oh My Zsh are coming from plugins, so my mklemm plugin has an alias.sh file that defines that aliases that I want on top of those imported from all the plugins. Kind regards, -michael