zsh-users
* Feature-request
@ 2006-08-26 11:29 nik
From: nik @ 2006-08-26 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Not sure if this is the right place, so just correct me please

1. shift+tabbing to cycle in reverse order, i.e some sort of reverse
tabbing.

2. Some shortcut to delete till the last punctuation mark. For example,
ctrl+W deletes till the last space, I want something that will delete till
the last '-' '/' or any other punctuation mark.
Example:
cd /etc/X11/xtrong_ >> Now in this situatio I want a shortcut to delete
only 'Xtrong'. POssible? If not please consider it as a feature request.

Thanks!

* Re: Feature-request
@ 2006-08-26 18:45 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-08-26 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Aug 26,  4:29am, nik wrote:
}
} 1. shift+tabbing to cycle in reverse order, i.e some sort of reverse
} tabbing.

Most terminal emulators cannot distinguish shift+tab from tab on input,
so you have to work out for yourself how to get shift+tab to send a
recognizable key sequence if you want to use that.  Alt+tab is also
a possibility, but that's often trapped by the window manager.  So I
personally simply use escape followed by tab.

	bindkey "^[^I" reverse-menu-complete

} 2. Some shortcut to delete till the last punctuation mark.

There are several options for this:

(1) Change the value of the WORDCHARS variable.

(2) Use the select-word-style suite that comes with recent zsh, e.g.:

    autoload -U select-word-style
    select-word-style bash

(3) Rebind ^W to use vi-backward-kill-word.

Details of all of these can be found in the documentation.

* Re: Feature-request
@ 2006-08-27  1:30   ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2006-08-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 8/26/06, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26,  4:29am, nik wrote:
> }
> } 1. shift+tabbing to cycle in reverse order, i.e some sort of reverse
> } tabbing.
>
> Most terminal emulators cannot distinguish shift+tab from tab on input,
> so you have to work out for yourself how to get shift+tab to send a
> recognizable key sequence if you want to use that.  Alt+tab is also
> a possibility, but that's often trapped by the window manager.  So I
> personally simply use escape followed by tab.
>
>         bindkey "^[^I" reverse-menu-complete

I've set up X to send "ISO_Left_Tab" when i press shift+tab, which
lets me use "^[[Z" as reverse-menu-complete.

> } 2. Some shortcut to delete till the last punctuation mark.
>
> There are several options for this:
>
> (1) Change the value of the WORDCHARS variable.
>
> (2) Use the select-word-style suite that comes with recent zsh, e.g.:
>
>     autoload -U select-word-style
>     select-word-style bash
>
> (3) Rebind ^W to use vi-backward-kill-word.
>
> Details of all of these can be found in the documentation.

I probably got this from the ml at some point, but this works nicely
http://mikachu.ath.cx/slask/dot-delete-to
Feel free to inline it in a reply if you want to archive it, but i
don't trust gmail to send it correctly.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Feature-request
@ 2006-08-27 12:17   ` James Andrewartha
From: James Andrewartha @ 2006-08-27 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Aug 26,  4:29am, nik wrote:
> }
> } 1. shift+tabbing to cycle in reverse order, i.e some sort of reverse
> } tabbing.
>
> Most terminal emulators cannot distinguish shift+tab from tab on input,
> so you have to work out for yourself how to get shift+tab to send a
> recognizable key sequence if you want to use that.  Alt+tab is also
> a possibility, but that's often trapped by the window manager.  So I
> personally simply use escape followed by tab.
>
> 	bindkey "^[^I" reverse-menu-complete

At least with gnome-terminal and putty,

bindkey "^[[Z" reverse-menu-complete

makes shift+tab cycle in reverse order. The inverse binding I'd like is
shift+control+r to history-incremental-search-forward to complement
control+r for history-incremental-search-backward, although I did find out
^S (although it's currently used for XOFF) and ^Xs are bound to it.

James Andrewartha

* Re: Feature-request
@ 2006-08-27 19:54     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-08-27 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Aug 27,  8:17pm, James Andrewartha wrote:
}
} At least with gnome-terminal and putty,
}
} bindkey "^[[Z" reverse-menu-complete

The esc-[-Z sequence for shift+tab does seem to be standard in more
recent versions of X11 (possibly Xorg but not XFree86?), though I'm
not having any luck tracking down where it gets set.  E.g., it works
in my xterm on RedHat EL4, but not RedHat EL3, and it's not getting
assigned in the app-defaults.

* Re: Feature-request
@ 2006-08-27 20:11       ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2006-08-27 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

In the last episode (Aug 27), Bart Schaefer said:
> On Aug 27,  8:17pm, James Andrewartha wrote:
> }
> } At least with gnome-terminal and putty,
> }
> } bindkey "^[[Z" reverse-menu-complete
>
> The esc-[-Z sequence for shift+tab does seem to be standard in more
> recent versions of X11 (possibly Xorg but not XFree86?), though I'm
> not having any luck tracking down where it gets set.  E.g., it works
> in my xterm on RedHat EL4, but not RedHat EL3, and it's not getting
> assigned in the app-defaults.

There's also a termcap string for the back-tab keystroke: kB.

zmodload zsh/termcap
bindkey ${termcap[kB]:-"^[[Z"} reverse-menu-complete

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: Feature-request
@ 2006-08-31 14:56         ` Nikhil Jain
From: Nikhil Jain @ 2006-08-31 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thanks a lot you all, I think I can  do what is needed now
I'll try these options as soon as I unscrew my installation. Gettign
network problem on kubuntu. :(

Will post back