On 09/08/2018 07:22 PM, TJ Luoma wrote: > But it's gotten me to wonder: That can be dangerous. ;-) > Why make any functions at all? Why not just make them all scripts? If > they are scripts in the $PATH then you can just call them by name and > they work in the login shell or in scripts. If they are functions, > you have to autoload them first. > > So I've gotten to wonder… what makes you make something a function vs > a script? IMHO it all has to do with scope. I tend to progress along the following sequence when I have reason to move to the next level: 1) alias 2) function 3) script IMHO aliases enable me to be lazy and not type things out completely, or make what seems to be custom commands like; alias myserver='ssh myserver'. I upgrade from aliases to functions any time I need parameters or I want scripts to be able to use the same command. I upgrade from functions to scripts when I want to be able to run the command from outside of the shell, like an ssh remote command: ssh myserver openDB. The remote command doesn't launch the shell, thus doesn't have access to functions, much less aliases. But it does have access to scripts if I have my PATH configured properly. -- Grant. . . . unix || die