zsh-users
 help / Atom feed
* Zsh and ReGIS graphics.
@ 2019-05-26 17:55 Grant Taylor
  2019-06-02 16:08 ` Grant Taylor
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Grant Taylor @ 2019-05-26 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users List

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1131 bytes --]

Hi,

I'm playing with ReGIS graphics (in XTerm) and have noticed that things 
display differently depending on the line that the prompt is on.

It seems as if Zsh clears the remainder of the screen after the end of 
the prompt line.

If I clear the screen (^L) and then display the ReGIS graphic, the 
graphic flashes and then goes away.  I think this is because Zsh is 
redisplaying the prompt immediately after the cat command.  If I hit 
enter a number of times to cause the prompt to move further down the 
screen, such that it's in the graphic or below it, the part of the 
graphic that is above the prompt stays.

On a whim I tried Bash and it does not seem to suffer from this same 
clearing of the remainder of the screen issue.

Is this a Zsh setting?

I tried searching the zshall man page, and it seems as if all instances 
of "clear" either don't have to do with the screen or clear the entire 
screen.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a Zsh thing?  Or possibly something 
spurious I have in my prompt?

Any help / pointers would be appreciated.



-- 
Grant. . . .
unix || die


[-- Attachment #2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 4008 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Zsh and ReGIS graphics.
  2019-05-26 17:55 Zsh and ReGIS graphics Grant Taylor
@ 2019-06-02 16:08 ` Grant Taylor
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Grant Taylor @ 2019-06-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 382 bytes --]

On 5/26/19 11:55 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea if this is a Zsh thing?  Or possibly something 
> spurious I have in my prompt?

I don't think it's my prompt.  I unset RPROMPT and changed PROMPT to be 
"# " and I'm still seeing zsh erase content below the prompt line.

Any help / pointers would be appreciated.



-- 
Grant. . . .
unix || die


[-- Attachment #2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 4008 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Zsh and ReGIS graphics.
@ 2019-06-30  0:07 Ross Combs
  2019-06-30  2:55 ` Bart Schaefer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ross Combs @ 2019-06-30  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1371 bytes --]

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 10:08:50 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
>
> On 5/26/19 11:55 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any idea if this is a Zsh thing?  Or possibly
something spurious I have in my
> > prompt?
>
> I don't think it's my prompt. I unset RPROMPT and changed PROMPT to be "#
" and I'm still
> seeing zsh erase content below the prompt line.
>
> Any help / pointers would be appreciated.

I ran typescript zsh.log, then ran zsh inside, control-Led, hit return a
few times, and cat-ed a ReGIS image file.  I can confirm that what you
state happens: the image is cleared from the following line to the end of
the screen.

This appears to be due to zsh emitting a ^[[J before printing the prompt.
I don't know why it does this.  Does zsh sometimes write to parts of the
screen below the current line?

[many lines omitted]
^M
^[\^M
^[[1m^[[7m%^[[27m^[[1m^[[0m
                                                              ^M
^M^M^[[0m^[[27m^[[24m^[[Jusername@hostname ~% ^[[K^[[?2004h^[[?2004l^M^M
^[[?2004h^[[38;5;101musername@hostname:~$ ^[[m^M
^[[?2004l^[[?2004h^[[38;5;101musername@hostname:~$ ^[[m^[[?2004l
[other lines omitted]

I don't have that in my prompt either:
username@hostname ~% set | grep PROMPT
PROMPT='%n@%2m %~%# '

[apologies for the broken message id chain -- I'm not subscribed to this
list so I had to hand-craft this response]

-Ross

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Zsh and ReGIS graphics.
  2019-06-30  0:07 Ross Combs
@ 2019-06-30  2:55 ` Bart Schaefer
  2019-06-30 11:25   ` Ross Combs
  2019-06-30 18:13   ` Grant Taylor
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-30  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Combs; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Ross Combs <rcombs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This appears to be due to zsh emitting a ^[[J before printing the prompt.
> I don't know why it does this.  Does zsh sometimes write to parts of the
> screen below the current line?

Yes, ZLE uses the screen below the current line for things like
completion listings and messages.

> [apologies for the broken message id chain -- I'm not subscribed to this
> list so I had to hand-craft this response]

I've never seen the original messages from Grant.  Rejected after list
forwarding because of sender domain SPF policy?

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Zsh and ReGIS graphics.
  2019-06-30  2:55 ` Bart Schaefer
@ 2019-06-30 11:25   ` Ross Combs
  2019-06-30 18:13   ` Grant Taylor
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ross Combs @ 2019-06-30 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 802 bytes --]

It was back at the beginning of June:

  http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2019/msg00144.html

-Ross


On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 4:56 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Ross Combs <rcombs@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This appears to be due to zsh emitting a ^[[J before printing the prompt.
> > I don't know why it does this.  Does zsh sometimes write to parts of the
> > screen below the current line?
>
> Yes, ZLE uses the screen below the current line for things like
> completion listings and messages.
>
> > [apologies for the broken message id chain -- I'm not subscribed to this
> > list so I had to hand-craft this response]
>
> I've never seen the original messages from Grant.  Rejected after list
> forwarding because of sender domain SPF policy?
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Zsh and ReGIS graphics.
  2019-06-30  2:55 ` Bart Schaefer
  2019-06-30 11:25   ` Ross Combs
@ 2019-06-30 18:13   ` Grant Taylor
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Grant Taylor @ 2019-06-30 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 885 bytes --]

On 6/29/19 8:55 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Yes, ZLE uses the screen below the current line for things like 
> completion listings and messages.

I get that ZLE would need to clear the screen for things like completion 
lists.

But I don't get why putting the prompt on the screen after the previous 
command completes requires clearing the remainder of the screen.  I 
would think that clearing the remainder of the screen could be done at 
the time that ZLE needed to show a completion list et al.

> I've never seen the original messages from Grant.  Rejected after 
> list forwarding because of sender domain SPF policy?

*HEAVYsigh*

Yes, SPF, DKIM, DMARC, and MTA-STS.  The mailing list is not authorized 
to send email /as/ my domain.  No mailing list is.  IMHO mailing lists 
should send email out as the list domain.



-- 
Grant. . . .
unix || die


[-- Attachment #2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 4008 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-05-26 17:55 Zsh and ReGIS graphics Grant Taylor
2019-06-02 16:08 ` Grant Taylor
2019-06-30  0:07 Ross Combs
2019-06-30  2:55 ` Bart Schaefer
2019-06-30 11:25   ` Ross Combs
2019-06-30 18:13   ` Grant Taylor

zsh-users

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/zsh-users

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.zsh.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox