On 2024-06-12 10:46, Mark J. Reed wrote: > > Which ties back into those expectations from other languages that Marc > mentioned. It's important to remember that, unlike in those languages, > quotation marks are not token delimiters in the shell. They don't > terminate the current shell /word/ (what other languages would just > call a "string"); you can go in and out of quotes, switch kinds of > quotes, etc. as often as you like within a single word. > > So .*.'~undo-tree~' is still just one string, even though only part of > it is in quotation marks.  The part in quotes is not subject to glob > expansion; the part not in quotes is. Pure curiosity, I have no problem to solve, but supposing you did want to break the string up, I suppose you'd have to use an array? Then perhaps manipulate the elements/words as desired, then recombine?