On 2024-01-05 11:58, Bart Schaefer wrote: > Approximately so, yes. Not precisely so in the case of nested expansions. Close will count for now. > Only with respect to pattern characters, but yes. Ah, so this behavior is special.  Is there some way to watch the parsing unfold? If I could see what happened, step by step it could sure be useful.  Seems to me I remember someone showed how.  'set +x' isn't detailed enough. > It was in fact one of the primary reasons for the creation of zsh in > the first place, to make the behavior of parameter expansions more > consistent without always having to use double quotes around them. Yes,   I know that historically zsh was a design fix. > > setopt glob_subst > print -- ${~~asterisk} > does exactly that. Cool.  Manual mentions that, but now it makes sense. Tx.