zsh-users
* How do I make 5.8 the login shell???
@ 2020-07-11  4:30 Frank Gallacher
From: Frank Gallacher @ 2020-07-11  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Greetings,

Is there a trick to installing 5.8,  I downloaded the tarball, decompressed it, then did a ./configure and a make followed by “make install”

Now when I log in I get:

moonpie@Franks-iMac ~ % print $ZSH_VERSION
5.7.1

But when I fork a shell, I get:

moonpie@Franks-iMac ~ % zsh
moonpie@Franks-iMac ~ % print $ZSH_VERSION
5.8

Have I done something wrong????

Frank C.Gallacher
phone. (03) 9429 9234
int.     +61 3 9429 9234
mob. +61 419 893 306
|\/\/\/|
|      |
| (o)(o)
C      _)
| ,___|
|   /
What kind of music do you usually have here?
Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.
“The Blues Brothers” (1980)
<<< MSG ENDS >>>

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 715 bytes --]

* Re: How do I make 5.8 the login shell???
@ 2020-07-11  5:18 ` TJ Luoma
From: TJ Luoma @ 2020-07-11  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Gallacher; +Cc: zsh-users

> Is there a trick to installing 5.8,  I downloaded the tarball,
decompressed it, then did a ./configure and a make followed by “make
install”

Hi Frank!

I'm guessing that zsh 5.7.1 is located at /bin/zsh and 5.8 is located at
/usr/local/bin/zsh.

If you want to use 5.8 as your login shell,  there are two things you need
to do.

First, you **must** add /usr/local/bin/zsh to /etc/shells

You can do this by typing:

sudo pico /etc/shells

and then pasting the line in, and then saving the file (control+X and then
control+Y)

Second, use `chsh -s` to change your login shell by entering this in
Terminal:

chsh -s /usr/local/bin/zsh

You will be prompted to enter your Mac's login password.

(Note: on the Mac, you can also:

1. go to System Preferences > Users & Groups

2. Click on the 'lock' icon and enter your password

3. Control+Click (or right click) on your user in the left-hand column

4. Select "Advanced Options" which will appear when you do so

From there you can change your login shell. Obviously `chsh -s` is a bit
easier, but it's good to know your options.

## There is another option

If you don't want to deal with any of that, there is another way. You can
tell Terminal.app to use a different shell than your login shell. Open
Terminal's preferences, go to "General" and then "Shells open with" and you
can change it to /usr/local/bin/zsh

Screenshot might make it more clear:

https://i.luo.ma/ss/terminal-app-use-different-shell.png

I hope this helps!

~ Tj

* Re: How do I make 5.8 the login shell???
@ 2020-07-11  6:29   ` Lawrence Velázquez
From: Lawrence Velázquez @ 2020-07-11  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TJ Luoma; +Cc: Frank Gallacher, zsh-users

> On Jul 11, 2020, at 1:18 AM, TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> First, you **must** add /usr/local/bin/zsh to /etc/shells
>
> You can do this by typing:
>
> sudo pico /etc/shells
>
> and then pasting the line in, and then saving the file (control+X and then
> control+Y)
>
> Second, use `chsh -s` to change your login shell by entering this in
> Terminal:
>
> chsh -s /usr/local/bin/zsh
>
> You will be prompted to enter your Mac's login password.

As far as chpass/chsh is concerned, if you already have sudo access
you can just do

	sudo chsh -s /usr/local/bin/zsh $USER

without modifying /etc/shells. Granted, skipping that part might
have other implications that I'm unaware of.

vq

* Re: How do I make 5.8 the login shell???
@ 2020-07-11 12:49     ` Frank Gallacher
From: Frank Gallacher @ 2020-07-11 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Velázquez, TJ Luoma; +Cc: zsh-users

Thanx Lawrence (and TJ)! (It worked...)

@ 2020-07-11 16:14 ` Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2020-07-11 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 2020-07-10 9:30 p.m., Frank Gallacher wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Is there a trick to installing 5.8,  I downloaded the tarball,
> decompressed it, then did a ./configure and a make followed by “make
> install”

Why not try Roman's pre-compiled version?  The first time I tried to
build zsh it took me days of effort and  research.  Pages of notes
helped after that but still things tended to go wrong for one reason or
another.  About  as fun as going for a colonoscopy mostly. Roman's
production simply drops in and works.  No more looking for -- nuts I
can't remember what that silly dependency is but Debian offers 15
versions of it and you hafta have the right one and no help choosing.
'cursing' or sumit, and you do end up cursing quite a bit.