On 2024-04-03 08:00, Mikael Magnusson wrote: > Surely by now you know how pipes work? One process has to run on > either side of the pipe, only one of them can be your current shell > (the one on the left is not it). Ah!  Yes, of course, there's a subshell.  It's easy to forget -- one of those 'invisible' things.  But do I recall ... yes, I believe Bart had a solution to that.  Anyway for now that's very clear, thanks. BTW > Keep your sexism to yourself, although in this case you're just insulting yourself anyway. I was being self-deprecating. I was trying to leave the 'gender' issue behind but on a lighthearted note. Never again.