zsh-users
* Center terminal on screen?
@ 2019-08-03 23:23 johnywhy
From: johnywhy @ 2019-08-03 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

hi,

is there a command to center the terminal window on the screen? On arch
linux / xfce, with zsh.

This tip offers an escape sequence for positioning the window on
upper-left, but changing the values has no effect.
printf '\e[3;0;0t'
<https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/33736/can-a-terminal-window-be-resized-with-a-terminal-command/47841#47841>

Thx!

* Re: Center terminal on screen?
@ 2019-08-05  1:39 ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2019-08-05  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 8/3/19 5:23 PM, johnywhy@gmail.com wrote:
> hi,

Hi,

> is there a command to center the terminal window on the screen? On arch
> linux / xfce, with zsh.

Try

Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Placement -> By default, place
windows "At the center of the screen".

Does that do what you want?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: Center terminal on screen?
@ 2019-08-05  7:47 ` Alwyn Kik
From: Alwyn Kik @ 2019-08-05  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Fairly sure that's dependent on the terminal emulator you're using, not
the shell you use in it.

In your case, you would need to look up the possibility to do this with
xfce4-terminal or install xterm and use that instead.

On 8/4/19 1:23 AM, johnywhy@gmail.com wrote:
> hi,
>
> is there a command to center the terminal window on the screen? On
> arch linux / xfce, with zsh.
>
> This tip offers an escape sequence for positioning the window on
> upper-left, but changing the values has no effect.
> printf '\e[3;0;0t'
> <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/33736/can-a-terminal-window-be-resized-with-a-terminal-command/47841#47841>
>

> Thx!

Cheers,

Alwyn

* Re: Center terminal on screen?
@ 2019-08-09 20:36   ` Julien Nicoulaud
From: Julien Nicoulaud @ 2019-08-09 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Positioning windows is the job of the window manager, not the shell or
terminal emulator.

You should be able to do it using wmctrl if your window manager implements
the EWMH API, which Xfce does: https://linux.die.net/man/1/wmctrl
See this answer for examples: https://askubuntu.com/a/104190/898

@ 2019-08-09 22:13     ` johny why
From: johny why @ 2019-08-09 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)