zsh-users
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: array with newlines preserved as literal text
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 20:17:45 -0800	[thread overview]

On 2021-02-04 7:22 p.m., Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I've never called what I think you mean anything but the "arguments"
> or "argument list".  Unless "tail" means more than that.
Maybe just obsolete culture.  I learned that the tail was switches
followed by arguments.  But if that's not how we speak now then that's
not how we speak.
>> Anyway, more fiddling: I added " print -lr $@ " to my 'preexec()' and,
>> mirabile dictu, it seems to capture input exactly as typed:
> "Exactly as typed" is going to include the entire (possibly
> multi-line, pipelined, etc.) command input, not just one command.  How
> much of that is the "tail"?
Good question.  I'll have to wait for the variable to contain something
monstrous and then I'll know what can go wrong.  It sure looks good
right now tho.
> noglob _g '*$1*'  # Why the duplication?
> RTM?
God no!  Seriously I'm reading Peter's introduction finally, then I
might have enough Latin to attempt the manual.  You guys don't know how
baffling it is for someone who doesn't already understand it. Worst
thing is just knowing where to look.

> Preexec gets three strings in $@.
>
> $1 is the string seen by the history mechanism
> $2 is is a single-line summary of the command
> $3 contains the full text that is being executed
Excellent, thanks. That's quite marvelous, that level of finesse.  I
remember beating my head against that wall when I first got involved.
Turns out to be that simple.

Or more than three:

7 /aWorking/Zsh/Source 3 $ echo $PREV_COMMAND
l g; l f; l s
noglob _l g; noglob _l f; noglob _l s
noglob _l g
noglob _l f