zsh-users
* Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-19 12:18 Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-01-19 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

I have one Windows 2003 R2 SP1 Terminal Server running zsh under
Cygwin (all latest versions[1]). It uses the same .zshrc as all my
other installation but for some reason history is not saved across
sessions.

This is what I tried: deleted all zsh config files and set manually
"HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history". No success.

I ran Process Monitor and saw that zsh was accessing (or looking for)
.zhistory.lock and some files like .zhistory.xyzs but it never tried
to access .zhistory[1].

Bash (just as a sidenote) does save history on this server.

What else could I do or try to find the reason for this behaviour?

Thorsten
[1] that's taken from memory. I could provide more accurate details

* Re: Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-19 12:23 ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2008-01-19 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de>:
> I have one Windows 2003 R2 SP1 Terminal Server running zsh under
> Cygwin (all latest versions[1]). It uses the same .zshrc as all my
> other installation but for some reason history is not saved across
> sessions.
>
> This is what I tried: deleted all zsh config files and set manually
> "HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history". No success.
[...]
> What else could I do or try to find the reason for this behaviour?

Before looking any further, could you check if this FAQ entry helps?
    <http://zsh.sunsite.dk/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l38>

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-19 14:34   ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-01-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Frank Terbeck (Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:23:45 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de>:
> > I have one Windows 2003 R2 SP1 Terminal Server running zsh under
> > Cygwin (all latest versions[1]). It uses the same .zshrc as all my
> > other installation but for some reason history is not saved across
> > sessions.
> >
> > This is what I tried: deleted all zsh config files and set manually
> > "HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history". No success.
> [...]
> > What else could I do or try to find the reason for this behaviour?
>
> Before looking any further, could you check if this FAQ entry helps?
>     <http://zsh.sunsite.dk/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l38>

Yeah, I did that. As far as I remember HISTSIZE and HISTFILE have
defaults so they don't need to be set manually. But I definitely set
them in my .zshrc.

Thorsten

* Re: Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-19 18:38 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-01-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Kampe, zsh-users; +Cc: cygwin

On Jan 19, 12:18pm, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
}
} I ran Process Monitor and saw that zsh was accessing (or looking for)
} .zhistory.lock and some files like .zhistory.xyzs but it never tried
} to access .zhistory[1].

I wonder if it's failing because it can't create a file with more than
three characters after the dot?  What filesystem type contains your home
directory?

* Re: Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-19 20:37     ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2008-01-19 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de>:
> * Frank Terbeck (Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:23:45 +0100)
> > Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de>:
> > > I have one Windows 2003 R2 SP1 Terminal Server running zsh under
> > > Cygwin (all latest versions[1]). It uses the same .zshrc as all my
> > > other installation but for some reason history is not saved across
> > > sessions.

I didn't quite get this, when I first read your mail, sorry. Does this
mean, history saving does work for you on other operating systems? If
so, my babbling here is useless. :-)
See Bart's reply then.

> > > This is what I tried: deleted all zsh config files and set manually
> > > "HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history". No success.
> > [...]
> > > What else could I do or try to find the reason for this behaviour?
> >
> > Before looking any further, could you check if this FAQ entry helps?
> >     <http://zsh.sunsite.dk/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l38>
>
> Yeah, I did that. As far as I remember HISTSIZE and HISTFILE have
> defaults so they don't need to be set manually. But I definitely set
> them in my .zshrc.

As for the default values:

[snip]
% zsh -fc 'print -$SAVEHIST- -$HISTSIZE- -$HISTFILE-'
-0- -30- --
[snap]

If you set HISTFILE and HISTSIZE, that's fine (and for HISTFILE it's
even required); As you can see however, $SAVEHIST is 0 by default,
which means, nothing will be saved.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-20 16:10   ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-01-20 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: cygwin

* Bart Schaefer (Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:38:02 -0800)
> On Jan 19, 12:18pm, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> } I ran Process Monitor and saw that zsh was accessing (or looking for)
> } .zhistory.lock and some files like .zhistory.xyzs but it never tried
> } to access .zhistory[1].
>
> I wonder if it's failing because it can't create a file with more
> than three characters after the dot? What filesystem type contains
> your home directory?

NTFS. According to the modification date, .zhistory was used until
June or so last year.

Thorsten

* Re: Persistent history not working
@ 2008-01-20 16:12       ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-01-20 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Frank Terbeck (Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:37:24 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de>:
> > * Frank Terbeck (Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:23:45 +0100)
>
> I didn't quite get this, when I first read your mail, sorry. Does this
> mean, history saving does work for you on other operating systems?

Yes, sure.

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Before looking any further, could you check if this FAQ entry helps?
> > >     <http://zsh.sunsite.dk/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l38>
> >
> > Yeah, I did that. As far as I remember HISTSIZE and HISTFILE have
> > defaults so they don't need to be set manually. But I definitely set
> > them in my .zshrc.
>
> As for the default values:
>
> [snip]
> % zsh -fc 'print -$SAVEHIST- -$HISTSIZE- -$HISTFILE-'
> [snap]
>
> If you set HISTFILE and HISTSIZE, that's fine (and for HISTFILE it's
> even required); As you can see however, $SAVEHIST is 0 by default,
> which means, nothing will be saved.

I set these values in my .zshrc. But when I started zsh without .zshrc
(to rule out config file issues) I only set $HISTFILE. So I will
repeat my test on Monday with the three history settings to see if it
makes a difference.

Thorsten