zsh-users
* how can I invoke zsh via screen when logged in via ssh?
@ 2014-01-22 19:54 TJ Luoma
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: TJ Luoma @ 2014-01-22 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

I use zsh as my login shell for several accounts I connect to via ssh.

My connection to these accounts is often fragile, either because they
were initiated on an iOS device or behind a satellite internet
connection.

I had a thought today that perhaps one answer would be to use
'screen(1)' as my login shell for those accounts, but then I realized
that I didn't want that to be the shell I use for local logins, just
for SSH logins.

I wondered if anyone had already done this, so I didn't have to
re-invent the wheel, or might have some experience with potential
problems that I might run into when doing this.

1) Would 'zsh' function normally when in screen(1) ?

2) I've already noticed that emacs keys don't seem to work right, i.e.
control+a does not jump to the beginning of the line, although
control+e jumps to the end of the line. Should I make some adjustment
to `bindkeys` or anything else?

3) What's the 'best' way to invoke screen(1) from .zshenv ? I already have this:

PPID_NAME=$(command ps -o 'command=' -cp ${PPID} 2>/dev/null )

case "${PPID_NAME}" in

        sshd)

                        SSH=yes

        ;;

        launchd)

                        LAUNCHD=yes

        ;;

esac

So I was going to change it to:

PPID_NAME=$(command ps -o 'command=' -cp ${PPID} 2>/dev/null )

case "${PPID_NAME}" in

        sshd)

exec =screen -r || exec =screen

        ;;

        launchd)

                        LAUNCHD=yes

        ;;

esac

which would, I believe, resume an existing `screen` session if one
existed, but would otherwise just launch `screen` anew.

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,

TjL

ps - bonus question: anyone know how to tell screen(1) to _not_ show
its welcome message every time it launches?