zsh-users
* pipe which fakes a pseudo tty?
@ 1997-12-03 17:57 Greg Badros
From: Greg Badros @ 1997-12-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Is there any way to make zsh "pipe" through a pseudo tty?  e.g.,

xev | awk-script-to-parse-keybindings

    ^ I want this pipe to not make xev turn on block buffering.
      (I want line-buffering as is the default when stdout is a tty)

This seems like a reasonably shell-like thing to do.

Alternatively, does anyone have a pointer to the pty4 program updated
for Linux and other more recent Unix versions.  The 1992ish version I
found on the net does not build cleanly and I don't want to reinvent the
wheel if someone else has a good solution (ideally w/o using perl, since
some of the uses for this that I have in mind are for a possibly
crippled system).

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

Greg J. Badros
gjb@cs.washington.edu
Seattle, WA  USA
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb

* Re: pipe which fakes a pseudo tty?
@ 1997-12-05  0:28 ` Jos Backus
From: Jos Backus @ 1997-12-05  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Badros; +Cc: zsh-users

    Hi Greg,

In message <qrrvhx6l372.fsf@elwha.cs.washington.edu> you wrote:
>Alternatively, does anyone have a pointer to the pty4 program updated
>for Linux and other more recent Unix versions.

Try ptyget (the pty version 4.0 successor by the same author, Dan Bernstein)
at ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/pub/software.

Groetjes,
Jos
--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        "Modularity is not a hack."
                          _/  _/   _/                -- D. J. Bernstein