zsh-users
* Qualifier suggestion.
@ 1999-05-17 17:38 Larry P. Schrof
From: Larry P. Schrof @ 1999-05-17 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

SUGGESTION

Adding a new filename qualifier that limits filename generation to
only ASCII files.

WHY

I want to grep through a bunch of files for a string. The problem is
that grep will look in binaries and spew a bunch of garbage to my
terminal. Now, one COULD use the executable qualifier and negate it,
but this wouildn't work in some cases. I think a qualifier would be
more suitable. (Not to mention helpful!)

Comments?

- Larry

* Re: Qualifier suggestion.
@ 1999-05-17 19:50 ` Roland Jesse
From: Roland Jesse @ 1999-05-17 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry P. Schrof; +Cc: zsh-users

Larry P. Schrof writes:

 > Adding a new filename qualifier that limits filename generation to
 > only ASCII files.

How do you decide whether or not a file is an ASCII file? file(1)
doesn't always work.

	Roland

* Re: Qualifier suggestion.
@ 1999-05-18  0:00   ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1999-05-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Replying to message of Mon, 17 May 1999 21:50:32 +0200 (MET DST)
	from Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
	regarding ``Re: Qualifier suggestion.''

> How do you decide whether or not a file is an ASCII file? file(1)
> doesn't always work.

A list of file types to exclude then?

I think it's an idea worth pursuing at the least

TjL

* Re: Qualifier suggestion.
@ 1999-05-18  1:27     ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1999-05-18  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Timothy J Luoma <tjlists@bigfoot.com> typed:
:Replying to message of Mon, 17 May 1999 21:50:32 +0200 (MET DST)
:	from Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
:	regarding ``Re: Qualifier suggestion.''
:> How do you decide whether or not a file is an ASCII file? file(1)
:> doesn't always work.
:A list of file types to exclude then?
:I think it's an idea worth pursuing at the least

There are lots of greps around which have an option not to spew data from
binary files.  I don't think any of the other file qualifiers is as weighty
as requiring every file to be open()ed/read()/close()d.  In fact, from
inspection all of them can get their information from
opendir()/{readdir()/stat()}.../closedir() not
opendir()/{readdir()/stat()/open()/read()/close()}.../closedir()

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>     NEW>>>>Mobile : (Australia) 0413 431 874
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/